Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of surface can you set a heat mat on?

Posted by nbacres 4 NW IA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 8, 10 at 11:00

I'd like to make use of a shelving unit with wire shelves. In the past I've always set my heat mat on a counter top. What about setting the mat directly on the wire shelves?

1) Does the mat need something solid under it?
2) Will I lose a lot of heat thru the wire shelves?
3) Will the mat heat the seeds & soil enough since it's exposed on both sides?

I'd really like to get my tomato seeds started this week so I'd really appreciate any tips, solutions, etc this week.

Happy Gardening...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of surface can you set a heat mat on?

All of the heat mats I have used will heat in both directions - that is to say they will lose heat on the bottom side if not set on an insulated surface. There may be other sorts of heat mats that I don't know about.

My favorite insulation for such things looks like bubble wrap made from aluminum foil. It is easily cut to almost any size or shape and if one ruins it there is no considerable loss.

o

The info that came with my heating mat said not to put it on metal surfaces because of heat loss below, It said the best surface is styrofoam, cardboard or wood. I use a cardboard box lid flap to put mine on and it has worked well for 4 years now.

I suggest you take a cardboard box and cut it up to fit your shelves where you are going to put the mat. Put your plants that are in pots in a plastic tray and onto the mat and you are in business

o

i put mine on foil backed insulation. it comes in several size sheets and different thickness. you could cut a 4'x8' sheet into whatever size you needed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here