Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seed starting late

Posted by xCSx 6B (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 11:00

Hey, it is about 2-3 weeks till the last frost date, is it worth starting anything from seed now inside rather than waiting to direct sow in 3 weeks?

It will be a small jump start for tomatoes and peppers, etc - will it be worth it?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seed starting late

Starting tomatoes and peppers inside versus trying to direct seed them? Most definitely worth it. Trying to direct seed either one is normally considered a last resort approach only.

Dave

o

• Posted by xCSx none (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 13:27

I meant I should have started them a good 4-6 weeks ago, but I will only be starting them this week, do you think its still worth it? I guess I will go for it anyway, keeping them in a garage next to a south facing window

o

I don't think you're very late. A little, but not very. All in all, I think you're better off being a little late than too early. Planting out in mid-to-late May doesn't sound too bad for your zone.

o

I think 6b is still too cold for direct seeding peppers and toms. And peppers are REALLY slow growing at first. Tomatoes will still get big enough to transplant and produce but peppers....I don't know.

o

Well it is either start them now, buy them or do without all together so I'd sure go ahead and start them. Zone 6 has a long enough growing season that even if they are a few weeks late going in there will still be time to harvest.

Or as an alternative, start the tomatoes but buy the peppers since they take so much longer. A nice compromise.

Dave

o

Or as an alternative, start the tomatoes but buy the peppers since they take so much longer. A nice compromise.

Excellent middle ground. Peppers are slower than molasses in January.

o

I usually have them started indoors by now but have opted not to do so this year. I will be planting mine in little pots outdoors. This at least gives them a good start away from all of the competition that Mother Nature likes to throw their way. Tomatoes, I am sure, will grow like crazy and I am not worried about them. It will be interesting to see what the peppers do. In my experience they are slower growers. It really depends though. Peppers aren't always slow. I don't know what the contributing factor is, but sometimes they decide to get into a higher gear and it is always a lovely sight when they do this. Yes. A weak liquid fertilizer at a very young age helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here