Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seed Starting Question

Posted by browndd1 none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 17, 12 at 11:05

Hello, I started tomato and pepper seeds about four days ago and placed them in my cold frame outside. I used the pro-mix growing medium, watered it down in the flats, and placed it in the growing trays on a plastic humidity grid and covered the tray with a plastic dome. When I went to check the trays today, the soil looked too wet because when I pushed down on the soil you could see water coming out of the soil. Should I just take the domes off today and let some of the water evaporate out of the soil? I emptied the trays that had water standing in them below the humidity grid.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seed Starting Question

"Should I just take the domes off today and let some of the water evaporate out of the soil?"

Yes. Your medium should be 'moist' not 'wet'.
I've never used a cold frame, but I would think, since it is covered, that a plastic dome wouldn't be needed. Those domes are just to help keep moisture in the medium until the seeds sprout anyway. As long as your medium is moist and the cold frame is keeping your trays warm, I wouldn't bother with the domes. I would also take your starting pots/cells out of the trays and set them on the ground(or an old towel)until the excess moisture is drained/wicked off. HTH

o

Agree. No domes and do not leave them sitting in any water either - no moisture tray. Temperature in cold frames can get very hot if not properly monitored and it is easy to boil/kill seeds and even seedlings in soil that is too wet and too hot.

Dave

o

Where can I get a detailed planting schedule for a wide variety of both Annual and Perennial Spring flowers that relates to zone 8?

Thank you

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here