Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seedling Roots Growing Into Capillary Mat

Posted by carlabrauer OR (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 11:08

I'm growing several hundred seedlings in 2" soil blocks for the first time (no pots), and I thought I was being clever using felt as a capillary mat to water from the bottom.

The whole system is working wonderfully - the blocks are being watered properly, the seedlings all look healthy and are growing fast. However, I lifted one up yesterday and realized it, and all the rest, had grown straight though the block and woven itself into the felt!

The roots are much longer than I thought they'd be at this point and they're not ready for transplant (no true leaves yet). Every time I pick one up I rip a little piece of its root off.

Any advice? I'd like to not kill all these guys when I have to move them and transplant!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seedling Roots Growing Into Capillary Mat

You will have to transplant the blocks into larger containers or blocks now. The longer you wait to do it the more damage that will be done.

Transplanting prior to true leaf developments is done all the time by experienced growers. Waiting for true leaves is just a guideline used for those new to growing from seed.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here