Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
veggies

Posted by ceruleanrose 6a (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 6, 10 at 11:08

Hi, I am a new gardener this year and I am wondering if there is a list somewhere of what fruits/veggies a person must start indoors? I would like to have an idea before I go to the store to pick them out. also, are there any good 'must have books' for gardening novices?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: veggies

I don't know that there are any that you MUST ;) start indoors, it all depends on where you live. Fruit trees and fruit bushes of course are normally nursery grown not home gardener started items. Strawberries are commonly grown from plants.

With vegetables there are several that are commonly started indoors because of the length of the growing season.
Peppers and tomatoes are the 2 most common ones as they need that head start. Eggplants, broccoli, cauliflower and onion seeds are others.

With most others - lettuce, spinach, cucumbers, squash, melons, etc. you can just direct seed them in the garden. Check the back of the seed package for instructions.

In your zone it is too late now to plant onions from seed - they need to be started in Jan. But you still have time for all the rest. And of course transplants are available for all of these if you don't want to grow from seed.

If you wish you can read through some of the FAQs here and the previous discussions on this question that I have linked below for more info.

Good luck and enjoy your garden.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Direct sow or start indoors discussions

o

thanks Dave :)

o

Tomatoes and peppers are the only things that I start early. Other than the annuals and perennials, that is. All the other veggies are sown in situ or planted as plants purchased from a local garden center. We have some good options around here for selection.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here