Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
capillary mat problem

Posted by jannabeen z5 US/z6 Canada (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 11:11

I stopped growing from seed several years ago because the raccoons make mud pies of my winter-sown seeds and we always go on vacation in April, right during a crucial growing phase for indoor seeds.

This year, I purchased a light timer and capillary mat for watering. However, the capillary mats work way WAY too well: everything is absolutely soggy. I've tried trimming the mats so that they do not touch the edges of the tray, but that's not working. What am I doing wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: capillary mat problem

Have you considered adequate light and heat resources in getting your system balanced?

Here is a link that might be useful: Starting Seeds Indoors

o

That is a chronic problem with capillary matting - it gets and stays too wet. The only solution I have found, only way to adjust it, is to reduce the size of the pot holes so they don't absorb so much water from it. That is how those automatic watering set ups work - small holes. Or transplanting the plants into much bigger pots so they don't get so soaked.

In the past I tried wringing it out well, running it through the washer and dryer, cutting it into smaller strips so there was just a small strip right under the pots rather than a whole sheet of it (that helped some), and cutting the part that sits in the water down to a narrow strip so it can take up water more slowly (that helps a bit too).

Either way it isn't ideal and I have lost whole trays of seedlings to it in the past so finally pitched it.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Dave

o

• Posted by nbrantle z7A Philadelphia, P (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 13:44

In my instance totally the opposite is occuring....Initially the mat soaked up a lot of water...Now, however, the mat doe not soak up any water on its own...has anyone had this problem before?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here