Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DIY Seed Tape Question

Posted by gardenmomma2328 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 11:37

Hi! I am doing a DIY Seed Tape craft for the "Mom's Group" I am a member of. We only have an hour and half at our meetings. I would like to know if anyone can tell me if it would be okay to cover the tops of the seed tape, to help with drying faster and so our moms can take them home with them with no problems? For example... newspaper, minimal amount of paste, seeds, and tissue paper on top? Also, what types of paper would be ok to use for this project? Can I use colored tissue paper or crepe paper? What about using crepe paper and folding it over at the middle to make a top and bottom? I just want to make sure that the seeds can still grow even with tissue paper, etc. on the top of them. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DIY Seed Tape Question

Also, we will be using store bought ZINNIA seed packets for this project.

o

It has been years, actually decades, since I experimented with this so take this info with a grain or two of salt, ok?

Plain white tissue paper works best. Thin, single layer strips for both top and bottom. Crepe paper takes much longer to dissolve as it has reinforcing fibers in it. Colored tissue would work ok but then you have the dye contamination (not all the dyes are organic based) not to mention the stained finger tips to deal with.

Here are a couple of past discussions about making them that will provide you with more info.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cornucop/msg0402110219445.html

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cornucop/msg1222223019774.html

Hope this helps.

Dave

o

I use toilet paper. Roll it out to the length you need and mark off your spacing. Mix up equal parts flour and water and place a dot on the space for the seed. Place the seed and fold the toilet paper over. You will then have about an inch to an inch and a half wide tape. It dries in about 20 minutes.
If you are doing square foot gardening, you can do this with paper towels. They are usually two ply, so just separate the layers. I hope this helps.

Jen

This post was edited by JennySweet on Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 0:15

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here