Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flamtnbkr

Problems getting Poppies going

FlaMtnBkr
13 years ago

I decided I want to grow some poppies this year and have read they can be picky on where and how they are planted and to try a few different methods. I started some in peat pellets and in pots outdoors and they seem to be growing, although slow and their stems are very delicate and long for their size. I also tilled up a flower bed about 20'x10' next to my vegetable garden and spread probably a half cup of seeds (so I would think 10's of thousands of seeds) and I have found maybe 6 plants that look like the others.

Is there a trick to growing poppies? I am in Florida so maybe I started too late? From what I have read they are basically a wild flower and a weed and easy to grow. Could something like ants have eaten all of the seeds I spread? I didn't bury the seeds I just tossed them on top of the dirt and then watered to cover with the little soil the water pushed around. I'm thinking about re-planting seeds but don't want to if I'm just feeding something or that is not a good method. I'm home all day and never saw any birds eating seeds and only found a few ants walking around.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comment (1)