Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwyet1

what looks like grass????

kwyet1
14 years ago

What comes up, early in the season (I am in zone 6) and looks like very thin grass?? At first, I thought it was my poppies re-seeding, but the pics I looked up don't look like this.....this looks like very thin grass and it does look like it is something that has re-seeded, since it is in certain spots and many of them are together.

Any ideas?? Thanks,

Linda

Comments (7)

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

I bet it is Star-of-Bethlehem.

Pull some out, I bet they have bulbs attached.

You will never get rid of them, they are a nightmare.

Keriann~

Google them for a picture

• kwyet1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Keriann....thanks for your response...I didn't think it was Star of Bethlehem..because I have Star of Bethlehem growing in a different area (they don't spread in my garden)..but I pulled one of the clumps anyway...no little bulbs. Just very thin, very fine green grassy shoots about 2" tall. I have also discovered them growing individually in another area of my garden...which is why I thought they were poppies...as last year I sprinkled poppy seeds everywhere.
    Linda

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

Hmmm.....

I wonder what it could be then.

Keriann~

• gina0475
    14 years ago

I get it too, I just found some behind the shrubs in my front yard weird spot I thought but come to think of it, I think last year flowers came out of it. sorry I am not more helpful but I would love to know the answer to this.

• flora_uk
    14 years ago

Are the stems flat like grass or tubular like onions? Does it have an onion smell? Have you definitely discounted grass of some sort? And if so what is the deciding factor? I suggest you try to get a picture and put it on the Name That Plant Forum.

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Have you considered blue-eyed grass. It is a wildflower of the lily family. It just seems to show up in flower beds--at least it did in mine. It has very pretty little blue flowers. I don't know about anyone else but I like it and have left it alone. If you ever want to get rid of it it is very easy to pull out.

• kwyet1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's not blue-eyed grass, I grow it also and it has kinda flat stiff 'leaves'....I also have chives which have kinda rounded 'leaves'....but this is just a very fine grass..I did think maybe 'just grass'...but it really looks like a 'bunch' of whatever just re-seeded there. I also notice some individual 'sprigs' in the back of my garden. I will try to get a pic this weekend and post it.
    Thanks everyone.