Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
viability of seeds from frozen fruits

Posted by arch555 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 5, 10 at 11:43

i saw lots of frozen tropical fruits in an oriental store. the fruits still look the way they were, skin coverings intact, except that they were frozen. if i plant seeds from these fruits, will they germinate? example of fruits are mangosteen, rambutan, durian, longan, lanzones, passion fruit, lychee, etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: viability of seeds from frozen fruits

if i plant seeds from these fruits, will they germinate

Probably not. Due to the moisture in them ice crystals have form and the cells in the seed embryo rupture as they thaw. In addition, the fruit were most likely harvested before being mature and ripened artificially as is the common commercial practice. So the seeds inside will likely be immature.

So the time and effort isn't worth it to most of us but if you want to try some you may luck out with a few that will germinate.

Dave

o
RE: viability of seeds from frozen fruits

thanks, dave. luckily i haven't bought yet any of those frozen fruits (i don't like to eat thawed frozen fruits!!!). perhaps i might be lucky by finding those fruits in some other stores some day.

btw, in your zone how do you manage to plant tropical fruits? do you grow them in a large greenhouse or are they growing in pots that you can shelter when needed?

even here in calif (45 miles north of los angeles), most tropical fruits wont't survive. every year my bananas die back by december or january and come back again, so for the past 18 years i never had a fruit from a banana plant that i obtained in boca raton. but by a fluke one of the bananas, that i thought totally died out more than a year ago, came back from half the stem and fruited last mid-august. i covered it with black plastic every night and they're still surviving, yet the fruits aren't ripe yet, which makes it more than six months and still not ripe to eat!!!

i purchased a manila mango more than a year ago and it is still alive. i planted it very close to the hollow block wall for protection. all others (macadamia, lychee, jackfruit) perished.

archie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here