Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bottom watering transplants - HELP!

Posted by cheeseliz Zn 4b (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 24, 11 at 11:44

I'm obviously new to starting things for seed, but am trying it in full force this year! I've started a number of packets in seeding mix in large containers and the bottom watering has been easy & quite amazing how the water is wicked up from the bottom. No issues there. However, now that I need to transplant these seedlings into their own 3" containers, the bottom watering system doesn't seem to soak up enough water to the top of the cup - With all the cups, the soil seems really dry no matter how long I allow the cups to sit in water. I'm using styrofoam cups with about 3 holes punched in the bottom of each. I've also tried misting the top, but that doesn't seem to get enough water in the soil, and pouring it from my watering can just drowns the poor little seedlings and moves them all around. Please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bottom watering transplants - HELP!

How big are your seedlings??

The top watering kinda bites when the seedlings are still at the cotyledon stage. If your transplanting I am guessing that you have at least 2 to 3 sets of true leaves, if so I would say water from the top.

This is another reason why I do not bump up my pots!!

o

I haven't repotted many yet. The first I repotted were Nasturiums that were started in Jiffy peat pots. They are big enough to top water without any problems. But, it was with those that I first noticed that bottom watering wasn't as effective now that they were in the cups. I also started some geraniums seeds in wet paper towels that needed to be potted once they germinated into individual pots. These are the real problematic ones: I soaked those cups throughly before I replanted the seeds, but now they need second watering, and are too small to top water without moving around a lot & I don't think the bottom watering is working well enough. Hence, my problem ....

o

Yeah I know that problem all to well. A trick I do is I actually pour the water in my hand then trickle it on the seedlings, you may still have to adjust the seedlings but this method for me sure works better than dumping water on them.

After you get that first initial watering then you should be able to bottom water successfully. Another trick since you haven't replanted all of your seedlings try to water the soil you are going to transfer them to first. Then add your seedlings. Taking a wild guess here the reason the bottom watering isn't working is because mix straight out of the package contains air. That first watering elements the air, therefore allowing bottom watering to work.

Make sense??

o

I've also used a mister on my smallest seedlings with good results. The type that's worked best for me are $1 travel variety from Target or Walmart. Plenty of water per spritz but gentle enough to not blast a tiny seedling.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here