Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
newspaper

Posted by gardengal19 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 9, 11 at 11:51

SEEDLING POTS!

If you google "Newspaper Seedling Pots" -there are many examples of how to do it. Some use a small glass or spice jar, etc.

I use PVC pipe. DH cut off about a 4 or 5 inch piece from 2 or 3 inch diameter PVC pipe depending how big you want your pot to be.
Cut strips of newspaper and wrap around the pipe. Leave an inch or so
overhang at one end that will be tucked in to form the bottom of the pot.
Use a single strip of masking tape to wrap around the pot and using a
marking pen, label what seed you will be planting in it.

Insert a smaller pipe or whatever to push off the newspaper pot.

Put them in a flat and cover with plastic wrap or a dome lid until the seeds germinate. It is easy to remove the early birds from that flat and get them under the lights using another flat.

This is an inexpensive way to go- especially when you want to start lots of seeds.

Little House in the Suburbs after you google "Newspaper seedling pots" has some great pics.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: newspaper

Thanks for the tip

o

I was recently watching a Soviet propaganda movie from 1929 . Some of the young maidens were busy making newspaper pots and singing patriotic songs. They used a square piece of wood to shape them. I tried a few and this seems much more sensible than round ones so widely touted on internet how-to websites.

o

Square paper pots. They would fit nicely together in the flat, but I can see a lot of problems with actually making them and slipping them off the block mold. Once filled with potting soil, they will automatically turn into a round shape anyway. Have you ever seen a square water tank? The Soviets had a lot of ideas that proved unworkable in practice. Al

o

Is there any reason to worry about the ink on the paper leeching? Or is that not an issue?

o

Do not worry about the ink, it will have no affect. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here