Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what kind of soil for seedlings

Posted by John_JJ none (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 11:52

i got this soil i dont know what its called because i dont have the original bag for it but it has little pieces of wood in it and has the white balls in it. i had it so i used it for my seeds and they are now growing.is that soil good for seedlings or should i get different soil and repot them and if so what kind ?
and if i have to change the soil how do i do it?

This post was edited by John_JJ on Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 13:25

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what kind of soil for seedlings

Without a brand name it is impossible to know the quality but since it clearly contains perlite and some bark fines the odds are that is is ok. Not the best but ok.

Seed starting mixes are normally very fine, almost sifted, textures with no wood chips. They are made of peat and either vermiculite or perlite. Growing mixes - probably what you have, tend to be much more coarse in texture and often have bark fines added to improve drainage.

If you decide you need to change the soil, called transplanting, then the FAQ below explains how to do it.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Transplanting FAQ

o

You don't say what you are growing, but for most summer vegetables you mix sounds OK for seed starting. I would transplant into a growing mix as soon as your seedlings will allow. Al

o

im growing tomatoes i have them each in a pot big enough till they can get put outside.and they have there true leaves
and i dont know how i can take some of the dirt out without damaging the roots

o

John - did you read the FAQ I linked above? It explains how to move from one container to another. Also read the one called "How to grow tomatoes from seed."

Starting a seed in a big pot and leaving it there isn't the best way to go as it can cause all sorts of problems for the tiny plant. And tomatoes benefit greatly from being transplanted from a small container once they germinate to a little bigger pot. Doing that is what triggers them into developing the feeder roots they need.

Dave

o

thanks everyone for the help i successfully re potted them

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here