Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Damp-off: Can the seeds themselves be contaminated?

Posted by mandolls 4 WI (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 21, 11 at 12:01

I have germinated at least 20 different types of seeds this year, both vegetables and annuals. I have used the same sowing methods, starting mix lights etc. for everything.

I am getting damp off in my alyssum starts, but not a sign of it anywhere else. On top of that, they were started on three consecutive days and so ended up in different trays, mixed with various other starts.

Is is possible that the damp-off spores were in the seed packs? Or is it just that alyssum is so tiny when it comes up that it is much more susceptible? There are 3 pots of alyssum that don't have it (yet), but I have tossed or segregated the others. I sowed three packs of seed so maybe the good ones are from an uncontaminated pack?

Everything is young enough that I have only watered once (bottom watered) since they came up, and I did use hydrogen peroxide in all of the water I used to moisten the starter mix. I am (as of yesterday) using a fan on everything a few hours a day. I have true leaves starting on many things, but I haven't repotted anything yet. I am nervous that the contamination will spread, everything else that is up looks so good!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Damp-off: Can the seeds themselves be contaminated?

Anything is possible!! Though usually it is a fungus in the soil. Some try cornmeal, cinnamon, or chamomile mix.

o

Hi Geof!

That is really odd.... I have never heard of it, but with those results, how coudl it not be?... that makes me nervous with all the seed trading I do, one bad seed could wipe out a lot of hard work : (

On a brighter note, your tubers are getting sent to you today!! A whole box fun!

Keriann~

o

Thanks Keriann, new dahlia tubers will more than make up for some dead alyssum!

I'll try some cinnamon on the surviving Alyssum and see if it helps stave of the spread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here