Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soaking in Peroxide and water

Posted by perezjuanf 10a (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 12:01

I have read that soaking seeds in a mixture of peroxide and water speeds the germination process.

I just tried the following mixture for some melon seeds

9 cc of water & 3 cc of Peroxide (a 3 to 1 mixture) after 5 hours I planted the seeds and placed them in a greenhouse how soon should I see the first sprouts (ball park figure)

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soaking in Peroxide and water

You dont say what kind of seeds.....................I dont think this is some kind of magic instant germination formula. It may help some types of seed that are slow, it may not make any difference at all.

Why dont you try some of the same seed without the peroxide soak, and let us know if you find a difference.

o

I think you may be mixing together a couple of unrelated suggestions. First, many large hard seeds will benefit from pre-soaking and it is a fairly common practice. However it is done with just lightly warm water and for a period of 12-24 hours.

A brief soak in a peroxide mixture (10:1 of water to peroxide) is recommended by some seed savers as a way of disinfecting saved seeds before drying them for storage. Some also use a diluted peroxide mist for stopping fungus/mold growth on soil. But adding it to a pre-soak isn't a common practice and while it might disinfect them it really serves no other real purpose.

Since you only soaked the seeds for such a short time I doubt the peroxide hurt them even though it is a stronger mixture. But how fast those seeds will germinate will all depend on the soil temperature used.

Most melon seeds will germinate in 4-8 days if given soil temps between 70-75 degrees, 3-5 days if provided with warmer soil. In cooler soil it can 10-14 days.

Let us know how yours do.

Dave

o

Please, could I ask where you got the 3 to 1 mixture and the 5 hour number?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here