Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
celosia seeds retained in soil.

Posted by x207 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 12:16

around 2-3 years ago i bought 12 celosia plants from a nursery. i put them in several pots and also put 2 celosia and 1 dahlia in a 14 inch pot. the dahlia did overshadow them and i removed it from the pot. the 2 celosia went on to live very well and i left the plants in the pot for a few weeks after they dried up. i "left" the celsocia scene then as i had issues with top heavy plants and never wanted to buy anymore.

the following year i had yet to put a use to the celosia pot and plucked 2 seedlings. i later decided to let the seedlings grow up and found they were celosia. ever since then i havent put any more earth nor other plant species in the pot and they keep coming back BC there are hundreds of seeds that fell onto the soil in the pot. even now atleast 50 seediling are pushing up. i wasnt aware that the plant can comeback much like this and remain pleasantly surprised to see the colours, ie predominatly fushcia, yellow, and a few reds.

i dont plan to remove the soil nor tamper with the plants though id like some help to stabilise top heavy plants

has any one ever had any dried Celosia plants ever taken over a pot permanently by leaving behind the seeds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: celosia seeds retained in soil.

It would depend on where you are located/zone/weather, but yes many varieties of celosia are perennials - weather permitting.

Dave

o

thank you very much for the reply. i usually start watering the plant around this time after it has remained in storage ie room temp without any water. i dont bother to remove the dried flowers when dries up for a while to re sow the pot. the plant does go outside when the wheather is warm enough to get full sun up until september or october. i usally get the fiery bush variety but i did see 2 small combs twice.

is there any trick to producing the combs? i do pinch off dried segment to get it to regrow the usual appearance. i'll often get around 10 full grown plants and 5-6 reblooms after the initlal blooming. i dont really bother stealing the seedling for seperate pots BC i have enough different plant species alive at any point of the year.

i live in montreal where the temp isnt perfect year round but the plant stays inside when its too cold.

o

I live south of you and have celosia seeds germinate all over my garden every year, all different kinds. I pull up the ones that are in the way or too weak and not nice looking. I have some red feather ones that reach over 6 feet tall (which I got originally from street planterbox seeds I took in Cooperstown, NY ten years ago!)

Some of the plants need to be staked to keep them from falling over. If you have to grow them in pots, maybe you can rig up some kind of cage or trellis to tie them to. The brain shaped celosia just naturally bend over sometimes. I don't grow them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here