Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cardarlin

Indoor Seeds... help

cardarlin
13 years ago

I started my seeds indoors two weeks ago. 8 weeks before my areas projected last frost date which is what was listed on the back of the packages. (8-10). I have them set infront of a large sliding glass door that gets southern exposure in my basement. The door is underneath a deck so it's not direct sunlight. I also have 1 multiple bulb floor lamp that twists to bend in directions and another single bulb lamp set on the table with CFL's. They are doing well and sprouting generously but I'm concerned that they will not start to not thrive because they are growing to fast. Does any of this make sense? I'm shocked at the rate of growth so far I guess you could say and I'm wondering what I can do if they need to go outside before I can put them outside?

Comments (10)

• keriann_lakegeneva
    13 years ago

What seeds did you start?

Keriann~

• cardarlin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just about everything... :(

Flowers
    Asylum
    Cupids Dart
    Sweet Pea
    Nasturtium
    Zinnia
    Amaranthus
    Gaillardia (sp?)
    Bells of Ireland ( only one sprouted)
    Phlox
    Chinese Lantern
    Portuluca (sp?)

Vegetables
    Corn ( realize its waaay too early)
    Peppers
    Cucumbers
    Pak Choi
    Carrot
    Chinese Long Bean
    Green Bean
    Cauliflower

This is a rough estimate... off the top of my head.

• keriann_lakegeneva
    13 years ago

Yikes!
    The ones below would all be planted no sooner then 2 weeks before last frost and I direct sow most of these. These are all sad and probably wont do much for you inside. They all were planted way too early..... this just wont produce too big of plants, but they rely on soil temps, how much day length, rain seasons.. it is all so much more then just a phyisical time frame. Example: if my dahlia tubers get less than 12 hours of sun they will produce fat tubers and not blooms, and vice versa. So if I start them really early in a window (way less sun in march then May), they will eat/get fat, not bloom. Same with many other plants.

here is your 'way too early' list:
    Asylum
    Sweet Pea
    Nasturtium
    Zinnia
    Amaranthus

Carrots- need to be direct sowed in cool weather

Long Bean- same thing

Corn- never start inside, always direct sow.

Not sure what to say. They all need more light and to be planted at the proper time in order to be thriving.

Do you have any extra seed?

can you post any pictures?

Keriann~

• Green_Thumbs_Up_29
    13 years ago

I read that one variety of the flowers you planted is zinnias, I planted zinnias recently and they sprouted pretty quickly, yet they are thriving quite well. I did some research on the germination period and got 7-14 days. Here is the link I found the information on.
    (http://www.ehow.com/how_4552277_grow-zinnia-flowers-seed.html)
    Good Luck!
    ~Lindsey:)

• mori1
    13 years ago

My last frost date is not until the middle of April but I don't put anything outside until after May 1. I started my sweet Pea and nasturtium two weeks ago. Asylum in late February. Never had a problem with them not blooming. So keep them healthy and they should be fine.

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

Yes Carrots, Corn, Radish, all herbs and sweet potatoes need to be sowed directly in the Garden. I see them sold at the garden center. I think they are tying to make money. I started planting inside Tomatoes, Pepper, egg plants, okra, squashes, Cantaloupe for planting outside in the second half of April. Last year I started too early inside when I took my Tomatoes trees outside it had flowers already. We got great crops we still have tens of tomatoes sauce jars to use. It seems to me we will get an early hot weather. It has been good lately weather wise My Apricot, Plums, beaches and Cherry trees has flowers all over. I am watching the Weatherman if we will get any frost I am ready with the Xmas lights. All my trees are dwarf.

• keriann_lakegeneva
    13 years ago

mori1: i was just concerned because the seedlings are in indirect sunlight with only a few CFLs to give them more light. I dont think much of what is growing will be happy with those conditions, let alone for 8 weeks.

But to each their own, I know I would not start the seeds mentioned above inside more than 2 weeks early if ever.

keriann~

• cardarlin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the advice. This is just a learning experience for me. First time I have started seeds. I followed the back of the package about the 8-10 week starting indoors. So we will see what happens. If all else fails I'll just start over in May. Like I said.... learning experience.

Thanks again!

• sarahbarah27
    13 years ago

On a positive note, you do learn best from your own experience! People can tell you what they think or do, but you can only really understand by trying it out yourself. Some of your stuff will do fine if you give it some TLC, you'll be surprised what a plant can take. If you can get a shop light or two it may help them and do them better than a floor lamp, and they are fairly inexpensive and the lights will last you a good while...a solid investment if you plan to start your seeds year to year! Don't give up:)

And just to comment on a above post, not ALL herbs need to be direct sown. Some of the woodier types like rosemary, thyme, sage it is beneficial to give them a head start indoors...but then again it is only my opinion!

Happy Growing!

• keriann_lakegeneva
    13 years ago

That is the BEST way to learn, through experiements :)

I love them!

keriann~