Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pro-Mix question from a newbie

Posted by sandywillow 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 12:44

I purchased Pro-mix and I am a little confused with using this mix.
What is it used for? Can it be used for only germinating seeds or can I use it to transfer seedlings into larger containers?
I am not sure which one to use it for and would appreciate any one here giving their personal input on how you use it and when.
Also, if used as a potting mix... Do you add anything else to the mix?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pro-Mix question from a newbie

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 18:26

Sandy - ProMix makes several different blends and they are have different uses. Can you tell me the specific one you are using? BX, HP, Pro, LP15, etc.

Most of them can be used for all stages of growing but yes you do need to still feed the plants after they germinate and develop their first set of true leaves. For starting seeds you would add nothing, after they have true leaves you'd use and 1/2 strength diluted liquid fertilizer.

Dave

Dave

o

I purchased the BX brand of Pro-Mix.

o

Ok, thanks. ProMix BX is the all-purpose mix - all stages of growing in containers - but feed supplements are required.

Dave

o

Great! Now I can proceed and feel better on how to use this.

Thanks for your help!

o

BX is a peat-based (75-85%, by volume, Sphagnum peat moss) growing media. Such a mix would work much better for applications like growing many types of plants in a greenhouse than for something like outdoor nursery stock. In other words, peat-based media is not really what I'd call "general purpose" (as many ads/sites suggest).

edit: or maybe I should say that "general purpose" is not "all purpose".

This post was edited by brandon7 on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 17:58

o

You do love to play semantics don't you Brandon? Pulling 1 or 2 words out of context to take issue with them really serves little purpose yet you do it repeatedly here.

The point was the different types of ProMix and yes, ProMix BX is Premier Hort's all-purpose mix (as opposed to their other mixes) or general purpose (which for most mean the same thing). It is and has been used by thousands of amatuer and professional growers alike for both seed starting, growing on with seedlings and yes, even for outdoor nursery stock growing. There are hundreds of discussions here testifying to that.

If you don't care for it or for its use in some cases that is your choice but the history of its and consensus of its value fall heavily in its favor.

Dave

o

"You do love to play semantics don't you Brandon? Pulling 1 or 2 words out of context to take issue with them really serves little purpose yet you do it repeatedly here."

I don't have time to play anything with you Dave. The comments weren't meant to be in response to anything you said or to solicit a personal attack from you. Professionals use the right media for the right purpose. BX clearly has lots of uses and there are also clearly uses for which it is not the best (that's why there are different mixes out there).

You just want something to argue about, and personally I don't have much more time for it. If you want to give your point of view, give it. Let others give their point of view. If the comments aren't addressed to you, try not to take them personally. Why don't we try to keep the discussion on a little more professional level?

This post was edited by brandon7 on Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 23:10

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here