Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandywillow

Pro-Mix question from a newbie

sandywillow
10 years ago

I purchased Pro-mix and I am a little confused with using this mix.
What is it used for? Can it be used for only germinating seeds or can I use it to transfer seedlings into larger containers?
I am not sure which one to use it for and would appreciate any one here giving their personal input on how you use it and when.
Also, if used as a potting mix... Do you add anything else to the mix?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Comments (7)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Sandy - ProMix makes several different blends and they are have different uses. Can you tell me the specific one you are using? BX, HP, Pro, LP15, etc.

Most of them can be used for all stages of growing but yes you do need to still feed the plants after they germinate and develop their first set of true leaves. For starting seeds you would add nothing, after they have true leaves you'd use and 1/2 strength diluted liquid fertilizer.

Dave

Dave

• sandywillow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I purchased the BX brand of Pro-Mix.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Ok, thanks. ProMix BX is the all-purpose mix - all stages of growing in containers - but feed supplements are required.

Dave

• sandywillow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great! Now I can proceed and feel better on how to use this.

Thanks for your help!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

BX is a peat-based (75-85%, by volume, Sphagnum peat moss) growing media. Such a mix would work much better for applications like growing many types of plants in a greenhouse than for something like outdoor nursery stock. In other words, peat-based media is not really what I'd call "general purpose" (as many ads/sites suggest).

edit: or maybe I should say that "general purpose" is not "all purpose".

This post was edited by brandon7 on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 17:58

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

"You do love to play semantics don't you Brandon? Pulling 1 or 2 words out of context to take issue with them really serves little purpose yet you do it repeatedly here."

I don't have time to play anything with you Dave. The comments weren't meant to be in response to anything you said or to solicit a personal attack from you. Professionals use the right media for the right purpose. BX clearly has lots of uses and there are also clearly uses for which it is not the best (that's why there are different mixes out there).

You just want something to argue about, and personally I don't have much more time for it. If you want to give your point of view, give it. Let others give their point of view. If the comments aren't addressed to you, try not to take them personally. Why don't we try to keep the discussion on a little more professional level?

This post was edited by brandon7 on Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 23:10