Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
perennials inside first year, outside and blooming the next?

Posted by MDPicci 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 12:44

I'm new to gardening, but I've basically become obsessed. I am in love with it! Here's my issue:

I currently live in zone 7a. We are most likely moving in August/September to a similar zone. I have a bunch of perennial seeds. I would love to see many of them blooming next summer. So here was an idea I had and I was wondering if it would work. I've tried searching, and I'm sure the answer is out there, but I couldn't find it specifically.

What I would love to do is start a bunch of perennials indoors as soon as my lights are free (probably by May 15). I would keep them indoors all summer. Then, when we move, I would overwinter them in a garage with the other perennials I will dig up or I keep in containers. Then plant them in early spring. Or I could transplant in fall.

Either way, do you think this would be a way that I could have perennials blooming in a new location in Summer 2014? does anyone have any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: perennials inside first year, outside and blooming the next?

You can but there is no need to keep them inside over the summer. Just put them in containers and let them benefit from all the sun outdoors. They will be much healthier that way.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here