Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help w/sunflowers

Posted by shw104 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 21, 11 at 12:55

Hello,

I really, really like sunflowers, however.. have had very little luck growing them.

Do most people start them inside and then transfer them out or just plant the seeds directly in the soil? In the past, the ones I've planted inside, never seem to do very well once I moved them outside.

Any recommendations or lessons's learned for getting a really nice batch of sunflowers?

Thank you!!
Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help w/sunflowers

Did you harden them off before you put them outside??

Harden off = slowly acclimating them to the outside elements

Why not try to grow them outside in a container of some sort.

o

What kind have you tried in the past.

Also, what goes wrong outside... do animals eat them? do they just fall over in the sun? disease?

That will help narrow down some things

Keriann~

o

I've read that sunflowers don't like to be transplanted. However, the slugs will mow my sunflower seedlings over in one night if I try to start them direct. So I start them in those jiffy pots--the ones you can plant directly in the soil. That way, I'm giving the seedlings a start before setting them out as slug food, but I'm not disturbing the roots when I try to move them.

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

o

Here are some good tips for growing sunflowers from my personal knowlege and from some research:

Try planting them 1-3.5in into the soil if you are using a large container or not using a container at all, however if you are planting them in a small container then I reccomend 1-2cm deep.
Do a soil pH test, the ideal pH for sunflowers is 5.0-7.0, to raise the pH of the soil, use wood ash to lower it use coffee grounds. Here is a link with a chart for plants and recommended pH levels: http://www.eutechinst.com/tips/ph/15_soil_ph.pdf
Good Luck!
~Lindsey:)

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/afcm/sunflower.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here