Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lobelia mix from seed - what to expect?

Posted by Jerry71 6a (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 5, 11 at 13:01

One week ago I have started Lobelia from seeds. Even though the packet said to expect slow germination of 20 days I had a green fuzz in just 5 days! The seeds were ridiculously small and hard to work with but all cells are doing great. What to expect next. It does look like I will have to thin the seedlings but how much and when. The packet said to plant about 10 seeds in each cell but it is very hard to do. Since they are now about 1/4 inch high I moved them to cooler part of heat mat that is about 29 deg. Celsius. I needed place for peppers.
What to do next? Pictures are posted on my blog.

http://jerry-our-garden.blogspot.com/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lobelia mix from seed - what to expect?

I would wait to seperate them for at least 2-3 weeks when they will be easier to handle.

You will probably kill a few in the transplant, but you have a lot of them so their will be plenty left. I get the soil really wet so they 'melt apart' and carefully using tweezers (not pinching just using the side) or a toothpick pull them apart and then replant in new fresh moist soil. There are lot of ways to transplant, I would try a few ways and then see what works for you. Lobelia are tough, they cn take an experiment : )

Is there a reason why you are starting peppers and eggplant after you started zinnias and lobelia?

Keriann~

o

I have east-south-west facing sun room that has a sun from sunrise to sunset so I can keep lots of plants there, plus I have build 32 sq.ft. cold frame. For last 5 years I have started my veggies at this time and I have not lost a plant to frost. As far as flowers go I am relative newbie and I figured since they are lot slower growers then tomatoes and peppers that I should start early. Did I do something wrong? We now live in a tobacco belt of South-Western Ontario so we have interesting microclimate.

o

I've grown Lobelia these last 2 years and will be starting mine at the end of the month. They grew way too fast for me last year (started mid March), between setting them on a South facing windowsill and lights.

I thin mine out by just taking nail scissors and cutting off the leaves of the ones I don't want. If you want to transplant the extras, wait till you see the first set of leaves start growing before moving them. I hold them by the leaves and use a toothpick to loosen them out of the wet soil. Heat mat is not necessary once germination is complete. And they like it moist; I don't let them dry out between watering. They are my favorite annuals, and I'm planting 4 different types this year!

o

When do you get peppers?

I am just asking because I start mine 12 weeks before last frost and they like warm temps, so I am wondering how they do in the cold frame.

I start Zinnas 2 weeks before last frost and lobelia 3 weeks. they will be nice and big for you when they are ready to go outside!

Keriann~

o

You can transplant plant Lobelia in little clumps (if we are talking about Lobelia erinus). You don't need to separate every single seedling. At the garden centre if you look at the plants for sale they will often be multistemmed i.e. a clump.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Lobelia erinus

o

I have been growing Lobelias from seed for the past couple of years. The first year (total newbie to starting from seed) I germinated them in mid-March and dint get them in the ground till mid June! They still did fine.

They are easy. For one thing you can take them off the heat matt, I have never used one and they germinate and grow at pretty low temps. I have grown them in those little peat pellets, probably 25-30 seeds in each, and I dont bother thinning them. When I plant them out side I just rip off the netting, and tear the clump into 2 or three chunks and plant them as is. I use them as the very front edging in my large front yard flower bed - love that intense blue and the fact that it lasts all summer!

o

Thank you all for great help! I do not think that I will transplant them, I have so many. What I have decided to do, thank you mandolls, is separate clumps when transplanting into container or hanging basket. The cells are of the heat mat for the last week and they look like have moss. Have a look:
http://jerry-our-garden.blogspot.com/
And yes, flora_uk, they are Lobelia Erinus. Is it ok to expose them to sunlight? Filtered or straight? I will be posting light question as I couldn�t find any thread.
keriann_lakegeneva, it all depends what pepper I am growing. The Thai chilies are red by mid july and banana red about 10 days later. I put my pepper and tomato pots in cold frame and burry the pots. Then when frost danger is over they go to their containers or beds. It works for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lobelia and other seedlings.

o

Thanks Jerry!

I *need* fresh peppers by the end of May. : ) I cant do store bought for much longer than that!

Good luck and I will follow your blog.

Keriann~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here