Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Distance from lighting and nutrient application after germination

Posted by Bill1897 6b (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 15, 12 at 13:02

My lettuce seedlings are about 2-3 inches away from 2 T-8 32 watt fluorescent shoplights. Will they get leggy at this distance away from the light or should it be closer? Is it better to have the light bulbs touching the tops of the plants than to risk them being too far away? I'm just afraid that the heat from the lamps might harm the seedlings. Even though they're fluorescent lights and no where nearly as warm as incandescent lights, will their heat hurt the seedlings if touching? Also what nutrient product--preferably organic or at least all natural-- should seeds be given to help them grow until they're ready to be transplanted, and when should this be given (i.e. when the secondary leaves begin to form, when the cotyledons form, etc.) Is kelp extract or seaweed extract good?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Distance from lighting and nutrient application after germina

Not touching but as close as you can get them withOUT touching.

Feeding - lots of discussions here about this you can read through. For the most part seedlings don't need feeding. Definitely don't need it until after their second set of true leaves develop.

That varies depending on what you are growing them in mix-wise, container size, how long before they can be transplanted to their final growing place, etc. Most transplant their seedlings at the first true leaf stage out of the seeding starting mix into a growing mix and most of them contain some fertilizer already.

But if you plan to feed them then any liquid of your choice - hundreds available - diluted to 1/4 to 1/2 strength max. weekly is the common recommendation.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here