Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hannzo24_gw

Coleus Seedlings

Hannzo24
12 years ago

I have some Coleus seedlings sprouting like wildfire in a Jiffy Peat Pod tray. The seeds were so small that I really couldn't see how many I was putting in per pod, and I think I overdid. There are at least 10-20 seedlings per pod. They look great right now, but I'm afraid I have way too many per pod. They are all about 1" tall right now without their second leaves. Do I need to thin them out and keep them in the pods or just try to transplant them into bigger containers? BTW my setup is a heating mat under the tray with a fluorescant light 2 feet above.

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

I sure hope they are off the heating mat by now. It is used only for germination, not growing.

Yes, you can separate and transplant them. I assume you mean they are in Jiffy Peat Pellets or do you mean the tiny peat pots?

The peat pellets can be separated easily. Just let them dry a bit, strip off the net, lightly roll the pellet in your hand till it breaks apart, separate the seedlings and transplant each into its own cell. Or you can transplant 3-4 of them into a 4" pot.

Dave

• radiantpoppy
    12 years ago

Hmmm... it's up to you. I have grown coleus from seed in past years and am doing it again this year. I always wait until they have a few true leaves before separating. I also believe that there are spirits that look over each plant and that they do the thinning for me. Normally if they are overcrowded some will fall away and a few will be left behind. I don't like to disturb them when they are very young. Also: Coleus from seed have a tendency to get HUGE compared to those from plant packets. At least that is my experience. I end up with leaves as big as my head and a plant that is up to my waist. And I have started them both indoors and, starting this year, outdoors too. It doesn't seem to matter. Although starting things outdoors is infinitely easier because there isn't the tendency toward mold. BTW: If you want to prevent mold, boil a couple cups of water and steep a chamomile tea bag and some sliced garlic in it. Allow it to cool and put it in a spray bottle. Spritz the soil surface enough to soak it about an inch after each watering. Chamomile and garlic are natural mold deterrents and will keep you from having damp-off or white fuzzies in your dirt. Keep the solution in your refrigerator when you are not using it. (Throw out and brew new every 9 days or so.)

• mandolls
    12 years ago

I thin/separate all of my seedlings when they are tiny, often just the cotyledon leaves. They survive just fine. Just be gentle.

"with a fluorescant light 2 feet above" - should be two inches. 2 feet will not give you strong heathy plants

• Hannzo24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info. I started seperating and thinning them last night. I left about 3-5 seedlings per pod, and transplanted those pods into bigger containers. When they get a little bigger I'll choose the strongest one per pod and discard the others.

Looks like I need to lower my light a little....although the seedlings I do have don't seem too spindly or weak.

• Hannzo24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Should I fertilize my seedlings when they get their first true leaves? I have some fish fertilizer and miracle grow.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

I thin mine as soon as I can handle them by the leaf. I break up the seedling mix and separate them. This works best if the mix is on the dry side. Mine I put in salvaged sixpac containers, with bottom holes large enough to get my smallest finger in to push out when time to pot up to larger pot, usually four inch. This avoids another root disturbance and check in growth. Al