Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grow_anything

How to fertilize?

grow-anything
14 years ago

OK,the seedlings are growing and I am re-potting them now. I have about 1000 which I have been fertilizing with increasing amounts of "starter solution" or 4-12-4 and am now using it full strength in a gallon watering can. I will now need to use the garden hose for watering and don't know how to best apply fertilizer? Is this "transplant starter solution" any good and should I try to keep using it or something else? How do I apply fertilizer now that I need to stop using the water can? Also, should I keep using the fungicide or stop it now?

Comments (7)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Starter solution--transplanter fertilizer should be used for transplanting only. It has a rooting hormone that helps plants recover from transplant shock.

You didn't say how big your plants are--I assume they are pretty big and you live in a warmer climate. I'm also assuming these plants are outside if you are going to use the hose for watering. If I'm right you could start with a water soluable all purpose fertilizer like 15-30-15.

Water your plants well.( you water first--fertilizer can burn the roots if given to a dry plant.) Then mix up the fertilizer in your watering can and water it in. Only stay a few seconds on each plant. You have already watered them so you only want to give each plant a few nutriets. You only fertilize every 2 to 3 weeks.

If these are small seedlings I wouldn't advise watering with the hose.
    You only use fungicide for damp off of seeds and small seedlings. Unless you have a fungus problem you don't use it when plants are bigger and have a bigger root system.

In all cases do not let them sit in water unless you are bottom watering. Make sure you drain the water from all saucers or trays after watering and or fertilizing.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Agree that we'd need to know how big/old these seedlings are and what size containers they are in. It sounds like you may already be over-feeding them. And I too have difficulty picturing watering young seedlings with a hose? It would be very easy to damage them.

Young seedlings don't need much in the way of fertilizing and over-fertilizing them does more harm than good. My young seedlings don't get anything until the second set of true leaves and only get a very diluted (less than 1/2 strength) mix of a mild liquid fertilizer once maybe every week or 10 days before going to the garden.

What kind of fungicide? Fungicide isn't needed unless you have a fungus problem so not sure why, how much, or how often you have been using that?

Likely we need more details please for a clearer picture.

Dave

• sleepy33
    14 years ago

I think most of grow-anything's seedlings are fairly mature, surely to the second set of true leaves stage from the pictures I remember. And I would assume he/she means watering with a gentle spray nozzle on the hose. Grow-anything, I would continue using your starter solution until the seedlings are in the ground and you are ready to switch to something to encourage bloom, etc. I would water w/ the hose for regular waterings, and then mix the fert with water in a watering can for fertilizing.

• grow-anything
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, thanks for the info I guess I should have been more specific. My seedlings are now very strong and all have their true leaves and many more. I removed them from the peat containers they were started in and the roots were already trying to grow out of the starter containers. I am potting them in 4" plastic pots this weekend. I was using mostly bottom watering but started using a very fine spray nozzle on the hose which doesn't hurt the seedlings. I am only using the hose on the plants that I have repotted. I still have lots in flats that I will slowly transplant over the next few weekends. Here is a photo of some I potted up this weekend. I am not using the misters shown in the photo for watering the seedlings. They were for misting my cuttings last year.
    {{gwi:226958}}

• grow-anything
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am getting way behind now. Here is what I need to be potting upright now.
    {{gwi:226959}}
    {{gwi:226960}}
    {{gwi:226961}}

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

Awesome pictures! Thank you for sharing.

What flowers have you started?.. maybe some in the first photo?

Let me know and I would love to see more :)

Keriann~

• grow-anything
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! The top photo is Marigolds then some Coleus, Snapdragons, Poppies and lots of vegetable stuff for the garden.