Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes are falling over after germination

Posted by gmein none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 13:16

After coming up from germination, about 1" or more, after 5 days of looking good they now are falling, leaning and declining in their stance. I have noticed that at the very bottom of the stem at soil height, it becomes very very skinny, thus, no strength to hold up the head that has sprouted. Is this decline from over watering???? Help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes are falling over after germination

I have been raising tomatoes for years, never had a problem until this year. I had two containers for early tomatoes and lost everyone of them. Now I have main crop tomatoes planted. Looking for better luck this time.

o

What kind of lighting are you using, potting soil? Just plain water, filtered, or are you mixing in some kinda feed?

o

The symptoms sound like damping off.

Here is a link that might be useful: Damping off

o

Agree with floral - you describe the classic symptoms of damping-off. In addition to the resource floral linked there is a FAQ here and numerous discussions about what causes it including photos. Just type 'damp-off' into the search box here or on Google.

Unfortunately the plants are usually not salvageable.

Sorry.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here