Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kst8ter

Cantaloupe seeds - new to this

kst8ter
11 years ago

my mom saved me the seeds from the cantaloupe she had bought from the grocery store. i have cleaned them and dried them. is there anything special i need to know before i plant them?

Comments (3)

• dowlinggram
    11 years ago

Yes there is something you should know. Your seeds may not do anything. Much of the produce we buy has been bred to be infertile. Therefore seeds saved from grocery produce often won't sprout and grow. If it does you won't know what variety it is or how many days it needs to grow or when it will mature.

Do yourself a favor and if you want to grow cantaloupe spend a couple of bucks and buy some seeds. The package will give you lots of information about that particular variety

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Agree that unfortunately most store-bought produce are hybrids so seeds from them will not breed true and in some cases are sterile and will not breed at all. If it grows it will not produce the same type of melon but will revert back to one of its parents or some crossed variety that may or may not be edible.

If you know the name of the variety you can determine if it is a hybrid or not but there are very few non-hybrid melons.

It is up to you. If you want to try and see what happens and have the time and garden space, fine. Otherwise, if you really want melons you need to buy seeds.

Dave

• SaraElise
    11 years ago

The other posters are right that they won't necessarily work out, but no harm in trying. Just start them in a little pot out of the way and see what happens.