Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transparent solo cup colors for seedlings?

Posted by prachi 6b (NJ) (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 13:17

So I transplant up my tomatoes into transparent solo cups (using praxxus method). In my limited experience last year the pink colored transparent cups didn't do as well as the blue colored transparent cups. But as I said my experience is limited and not controlled for other factors.

Anyone else have any experience or thoughts on the issue. This year I have collected cups again and I have to use some of the pink ones (once they grow big enough it doesn't matter).

Thanks
-Prachi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transparent solo cup colors for seedlings?

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 14:00

It is the clear, non-opaque, cups that is the basic problem - many discussions here about the problems caused for the roots - and the color of the cups will affect how and what part of the light spectrum affects them.

Roots are negative phototropic - exposure to light burns the epidermis of them. So neither blue nor pink is beneficial but the blue spectrum exposure is somewhat better tolerated than the rink/red spectrum is by roots. Ideally one doesn't use any clear cups regardless of color.

Dave

o

I agree with Dave. I tried 3 or 4 clear cups one year because they were free. Free or not I'll never use them again. The roots do not like the transmission of light to them. The ones in the clear cups from the same variety, seeded at the same time as the ones in the opaque cups ended up losers and being tossed out. The ones in the non see through opaque cups did very well.

Lesson learned!! free or not I will not plant in any clear container

o

its odd because i follow praxxus alot and he does very well in clear or slightly opaque clear cups. i only use the blue colored cups though and get great results with anything i plant in them.

Here is a link that might be useful: TheItalian Garden

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 11:22

Have no idea who praxxus is but like some others, perhaps he just doesn't know any better. Which is odd as any experienced nursery grower knows and there is plenty of science-based info about it available on the web for the layman.

Dave

o

Hi.. thanks everyone for the feedback. I guess I will have to be more careful with the tranparent cups.

I had seen Ray (from the praxxus channel) do this but also thought that it was probably ok b/c soil blocks are an acceptable means of growing seedlings as well and in that the root are pretty open to air as well. I guess you keep those pretty close together and don't let it too much light.

It is simple enough for me to just place my cups in another opaque cup... so I may do that. Waste of cups but oh well you live and you learn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here