Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many 'extras' do you start?

Posted by mandolls 4 WI (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 6, 11 at 13:23

This is only my 3rd year growing inside from seed. The first year it was mostly annuals and a few perennials. I did a lousy job, but somehow most of them worked. Last year I added peppers and cukes and had dozens of seedlings. The flowers are easy for me to find places for no matter how many I have, but last year I ended up sticking extra cucumber plants in the weirdest places (like the Dahlia bed) and peppers in with the lilies.

This year I am trying lots more vegetables. I have invested the time space and money in a better light set up and will expand the veg garden. I am excited to get started. However..........Last year the three tomato plants I grew (purchased in 4 in. pots) supplied plenty of tomatoes for the two of us here. This year I have seeds for 4 different kinds ! I dont really want to grow more than 10 or 12 tomato plants (2-3 of each).

So the question is - how many seeds would you start? Twice as many as needed? - three times as many? I guess I can give away seedlings, but I only have so much room under the lights.

Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many 'extras' do you start?

I always start way more than I need then select the best seedlings to transplant.

Mike

o

I germinate a lot of extras, we're a small family too (just 3 of us) and I live in a city so have VERY little room. Like you, I sometimes sneak some into my flower garden. :) I also give away a lot. I would say I probably start around 3x what I need. If I have a yard sale in May, which I usually do, I set my daughter up with a table and sell some off.

If you have the room to grow a nice sized garden, you can always donate the extras to a food pantry or shelter. Or you can learn to do some canning. My neighbor makes the best jams and sauces from all her extras. She gives me some for gifts, and I always love it when she does! :)

o

I myself am on my third year of starting from seed and in the past have started double what I thought I needed, this year for some reason I decided to share with friends and family and have quadrupled my seed starts and am almost overwhelmed with the amounts of plants that I have space for, that being said if your planting for just yourself double the amount and share the rest you will have plenty and will make others very happy that do not have as green a thumb as you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here