Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardy hibiscus: How big a pot to transplant to?

Posted by started_with_bean Zone 5--MA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 28, 11 at 13:44

I started some Hardy Hibiscus seeds last month and have gotten a couple of healthy seedlings that are now 4" tall. They are currently in 4" pots. Should I be transplanting them into bigger pots now, or can they stay in the 4" pots until the end of May, when they go into the ground?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardy hibiscus: How big a pot to transplant to?

I grow lots of them and they can stay in the 4" for a very long time but will not grow very big until they are in the soil.
Here's one of mine. 2years old

Photobucket

o

Thanks!! And that bloom is AWESOME! I'm hoping mine will end up as good, as I'm actually growing them for a friend. Fingers crossed for first year blooms!

o

Mine always bloom the 1st year, but kinda piddly. Year 2 they come alive!!! Show stoppers :) lol
fingers crossed for ya
:) Laura

o

auntyara - Beautiful picture! I started mine from seed in early March and I have a couple about 3" or so tall with maybe 3 true leaves. They grow really slowly - I assume that is par for the course?

What kind of temperatures/conditions can they take? I live near Seattle - we have cool and rainy (but not frosty) weather through June. Will they be happy with daytime temperatures in the 50s and nighttime temps in the 30s/40s?

o

thanks for the compliments :)
I live in NY zone 5 they love it here. They die back all the way and don't even start to come up til mid to late may. Grow super fast after that. They start flowering in July? til frost. hope that helped :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here