Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
i hate wildlife

Posted by cbfindlay z6 OH (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 31, 10 at 13:50

Funny how your opinions about wildlife change the minute you start to garden. Last year it was chipmunks eating one bite of EVERY TOMATO and leaving the rest. This year I've got sunflower and cosmo seedlings out on the porch in the sun... and this morning, the seed leaves are neatly nipped off of a bunch of them.
WHAT WOULD DO THIS???
It can't be anything that big. My suspects would be chiefly chipmunks, squirrels, slugs, or some type of bird.
Clues: next to none. No spilled pots, no slug slime, no tracks or dug-in soil. Just seedlings looking like a weed whacker got them.
Is there any type of bird that would even do that?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: i hate wildlife

Rabbits, maybe?

o

I would venture to say the chipmunks and or squirrels. They are afterall rodents.

My husband has had a running battle with chipmunks. They will eat a bite out of every bean in the row and take the peas and pile them up in the garden.

We tried puting out a feeding station for them but it didn't help. In self defence we use mouse traps in the garden and bait it with peanut butter. They are cute little critters but we view them as pests that are worse than mice. The choice was no garden or them and we chose them

o

I don't think so... they're up on a shelving unit, on the second shelf, almost four feet high, and no access by anything but climbing...
Also, oddly, there's a pot of Poppy starts, little bitty tiny seedlings, and those weren't touched... don't ask my why I tried to start poppies in a pot... CBF

o
RE: i hate chipmunks

And I hear you about the chipmunks. I'm trapping with abandon this season as well. They dig up and eat my pansies, burrow under the boxwood and sidewalk, and decimate the veggies. There are plenty of yards they can find homes in around here!
I'm trying dried blood too, all around. So far it does seem to keep rodents away but I'm guessing it will only work so long.

o

"WHAT WOULD DO THIS???"

You don't happen to have any cats around, do you? That is exactly what some of my cats will do, just bite the heads off.

Try covering them with netting of some kind, even tulle.

Go to a dollar store or party store and see what they've got in shiny mylar fringe, the longer the better. Hang it over your seedlings; if necessary, tie them to the top of a stick (like a ponytail) and let them sway over the seedlings. Birds shouldn't like this at all.

Growing seedlings is like issuing an invitation to a smorgasbord to every animal and insect in the area.

Slugs usually take them off a the soil line.

Sue

o

Belgianpup:

Birds may pick at the petals of flowers but I've never seen any that go after leaves. They have never bothered my flowers, but They do go after the apple blossoms occasionally

Slugs will eat the leaves and sometimes the stem, but it's cutworm that nips them off at the base.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here