Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID seed issue - perilla frutescens / shiso

Posted by Sugi_C 10a - SF Bay Area (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 14:03

I lied. I have another question!

This is my third round of shiso seeds I've planted this year. All have germinated successfully and I've given quite a few away in 3" pots as gifts and I've kept about 5 mini-plants at this point.

This round, though, has something bizarre happening.
What is this?

seeds

All three shown germinated green cotyledon, just like the one with the arrow still has. A day or two later, the suspect three turned this color -- but the stem was still green and still is. Now some shiso have dark color leaves -- true, but these are all from the same package, and more importantly, none of the 20-something I've planted thus far did this.

So, I'm thinking it's perhaps some disease or condition. I don't think it's a bug of some sort....but perhaps a fungus? In any case -- I wanted to confirm it's no good before I chuck these....

Can anyone educate me as to what this is and what happened, please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID seed issue - perilla frutescens / shiso

It could be a different plant...a seed got into the mix by mistake. It happens. If you're adventurous and the plant looks healthy, see what it grows into. Maybe it's a weed. Maybe it's a different sport of some plant.

o

Susan, thank you for your input.
So this is not "damping off"? I have always understood it as that affecting stems but I did see one photo of damping off via Google that showed dark/black leaves instead of the stem buckling over.

Not sure what to think but I guess I'll keep them growing to see if they live or die. If something is wrong, I suspect it's too late to cure them. And I have too many seeds to spend time curing ones that don't want to live, right?

Or maybe it's the soil mix I used. It was a really gritty variation and perhaps it was just a combo not much liked by seeds though the speed of germination said otherwise,

Thanks!

o

This is a very bizarre batch. Maybe it's the mixture of soil I used, or maybe it's something else. It's not the seeds, as the previous round of this all sprouted and are growing wonderfully.

I planted 12 and 5 never came up, 6 did as shown above and eventually withered completely (and still had green stems!) and one looked okay. I cut it off that cell pack (and threw the rest out) and took care or it with my other seeds.

This is today. Not only is it not vigorous, it's beginning the whole browning/dying process.

Any ideas what is happening here?

o

A closer shot. Sorry, this is about as good as it will get on my iPad.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here