Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Penstemon

Posted by jrgardner z8b FL (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 8, 06 at 14:12

I've been starting perennials from seed for a few years and typically have pretty good luck (great windows and plenty of room certainly helps). I understand Penstemon needs light to germinate, but are there any other things I need to do. I've struck out twice (I haven't completely give up hope), so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
JR

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Penstemon

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 8, 06 at 14:57

You might read through this from the Clothier's website...

Here is a link that might be useful: Penstemon

o

Has anyone gotten penstemon seed to work? I just went outside and grabbed some seed heads and have decided to see if they'll germinate on some seed starting mixture (under plastic of course). Do think I'll have a chance - I figure they've gone through all the cold-warm cycles being outside throughout the winter.

Note - I've only had one volunteer from my original plants after 3 years in the garden...

o

That was an interesting read. I love wintersow seeds because that's when i begin having gardening withdrawals lol.

o

I've had pretty good success with germinating several different kinds of penstemon by wintersowing the seeds on the soil surface. They seem to like the combination of light and cold. Examples include: penstemon barbatus "jingle bells", navigator, rondo, white plains, rocky mountain blue, smallii.

Lois in Pa

o

I winter sowed several different penstemon types (Mystica, Esprit & P. strictus 'Rocky Mountain') from traded seeds and not only did they all sprout, they grew into good-sized healthy plants. They're excellent winter sowing candidates. To be quite honest, EVERYTHING I winter sowed grew into healthy, beautiful plants and many bloomed first year from seed including two dwarf hollyhocks, lupine, turtlehead, butterfly bush & blackberry lily.

o

Wow! I never heard of winter sowing and Gardenweed has me all excited - I have a brown to black thumb but love flowers. NM is a HAARD place to garden if you don't want to make your own soil! I have noticed store bought plants grow better if planted on a cool day late in the day - esp. If it might rain during the night or next day, or at least is cool the next day or two.
THANK YOU ALL!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here