Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
will hybrid vegetable seeds grow true?

Posted by butterflysky CA (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 14:28

I was wondering if seeds collected from hybrid vegies such as Sungold tomatoes, lemon cucumbers, etc. will grow into the same plant, or would they revert to something else, would the seeds be sterile, or what?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: will hybrid vegetable seeds grow true?

Some hybrids 75% of the seed will not grow true and 25% will. I've forgotten what this sort of hybridization is called.

o

I bought lemon cucumber seed from Baker Creek Heirlooms which would indicate these are not hybrids and will grow true. THAT IS.... if they didn't cross pollinate with a different cucumber near-bye.

As for Sungold... I buy fresh seed each year because I don't want to take the chance. They are very expensive seed too. Talk about a captive market.

o

As a general guideline - no. If the seeds aren't sterile (which many are) then they won't breed true. That is why the standard recommendation is to not save seeds from hybrids.

In most cases hybrids will revert to one of the parent stock. There are exceptions but in general saving seed from hybrids is a waste of time IF you want the same plant. If you don't care what it produces and like to experiment it can be fun to see what the seed produces.

Dave

o

No, hybrid seeds will generally not breed true, but....

If you have a particular hybrid that you are absolutely are in love with, and assuming the seeds aren't sterile, it is possible to breed out the hybrid for several generations to create a new, stabilized open-pollinated variety (Which you can name after your favorite South Park character!) Select for similarity to the original F1 hybrid.

Larger plantings will ensure more genetic diversity in the new breed.

The link has a little more info, mostly towards the bottom of the page.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://howtosaveseeds.com/breeding.php

o

(Which you can name after your favorite South Park character!)

Just don't call it Kenny because he dies all the time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here