Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting Ice Plant from Seed

Posted by Ams_38562 6B (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 14:30

Please forgive me If I have posted this in the wrong section. I'm a new member and this is a vast website :P

I need help!!! I bought 50 Ice plant, Fire spinner seeds online and I can't get them to germinate!!
I'm trying to start them indoors. I have them on a bed of well draining soil, they are kept moist but not soggy, I try to keep them warm and have a grow light on them but nothing is happening! I Started them February 15th and its now March 12th. what on earth am I doing wrong?!?! I still have a few seeds left to try a different method if anyone has any ideas. I also have a few seeds in a peat mixture, those are covered with no light with the same results, nothing.

The picture isn't mine but a stock photo of what I should be growing.. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! I feel like I'm growing nothing but dirt!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting Ice Plant from Seed

How far did you press them into the soil? Apparently Ice Plant is supposed to be barely covered. I find that with some of the annuals I started three weeks ago (that had similar instructions) I have only had about a 50% germination success rate. It's probably because I pressed them in too far or by moistening the surface with my fine mist spray bottle every other day they've sunk too far into the soil.

o

I did what you did basically.. I just pressed them into the soil, most if not all in one seed starting tray are still visible.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 21:07

You could still be on schedule, these take as much as 4-5 weeks often to germinate. Does your starting tray have a cover? If not and you are having trouble keeping the surface sown small seeds moist, stretch a piece of saran wrap across the top of your tray, remove at the very first sign of germination.

Delosperma - 70-72F on surface as light may be beneficial to germination. Seeds will germinate slowly and erratically in 25-35 days.

o

Thanks. I do hope you are right and I am just being impatient. I've tried to do a little reasearch but could never comeup with how many days it took.. one site said 10 - 40 days. Yes my tray does have a cover.. its not a great cover as things in side do dry out quickly.

You say light "may be" benificial. is it a must have?

Thanks again :)

o

Thanks. I do hope you are right and I am just being impatient. I've tried to do a little reasearch but could never comeup with how many days it took.. one site said 10 - 40 days. Yes my tray does have a cover.. its not a great cover as things in side do dry out quickly.

You say light "may be" benificial. is it a must have?

Thanks again :)

o

I'm curious....where did you buy the seeds? Everything in my knowlege shows that this specific variety is propagated by division, not seed, so I'm wondering what your seed source was. This mat be the source of your problems.....

o

oh no.. I hope thats not true.. I bought them off ebay. :/

o

Well....it's true. Just means someone collected seed from the plant - doesn't mean they will germinate or be true to type if they do. I ONLY see plants offered for sale, not seeds.

o

I get about 90% success by using a little trick:

Not sure where most people obtain this stuff, but I buy garden-grade vermiculite at our local feed store. Most people use it by incorporating it right into their soil mixtures.

I use an old parsley spice container with big holes (or perhaps an old parmesan cheese shaker would work). I drop the seed on the soil, and DON'T press in. Instead, I sprinkle vermiculite in a thin layer over the seeds. Then water very gently so as to disrupt the surface as little as possible. The vermiculite holds moisture right up next to the tiny seed while still allowing light in. It seems like such an unlikely simple solution...but I promise that it has helped survival rate of my baby sprouts so much!

My ice plant seeds seem to like high heat to germinate. About 75 to 80 degrees in 10-14 days. They grow surprisingly fast, and transplant very easily.

Another trick I employ in my efforts trying to grow tiny seeds: instead of watering with a regular pitcher I use a picnic ketchup bottle. It works perfect for squeezing the water onto the seedbed and/or tiny sprouts without dislodging them until they are big enough to handle the flow from the water pitcher.

o

Thanks for the thread, trying iceplant from seed for the first time this year. Looks like I'll have to give mine some supplemental heat to get started. I like to toss them in the oven with just the light on. It puts off a surprising amount of heat. I just have to remind the other half not to cook my seeds!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here