Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
need2seegreen

anyone have photos of seedling Canterbury Calycanthema?

Hello:

This is kind of a random question, but does anyone happen to have photos of seedlings of Campanula Calycanthema - the Cup and Saucer Canterbury Bells? I imagegoogled, but didn't find many. I know it's supposed to be a rosette though.

I am trying to grow them and since I re-use potting soil sometimes, I am not sure what these are.

Since I have to board them for 2 years to see the flowers, it would be great to know for sure what they are! I saw some lavender ones once, in a garden in West Berkeley and I've been wanting them ever since.

Comments (12)

• dowlinggram
    11 years ago

Campanula grows a rosette of leaves the first year. That means leaves spread a bit but close to the ground. The second year it will send up flower stems from that rosette of leaves.

The flowers look like a cup and saucer with a bell shaped center and a ruffle of petals behind the bell.

I don't have a photo but I have grown them. If you started them early enough it may bloom late in summer.

If what you planted starts to grow taller in the early stages it won't be campanula. Look for a bunch of leaves close to the ground

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

How about posting a picture of what you have growing and we can tell you if they are Canterbury Bells?

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

When re-using potting mix you need to be sure that something totally different than what was in it first gets planted in it. Especially with flowers. Use that to plant peppers or tomatoes for example.

Dave

• poisondartfrog
    11 years ago

Here is a link to a photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Campanula medium var. calycanthema

• Need2SeeGreen 10 (SoCal)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ooh, thanks!!! I will try to post a pic. I have a good feeling so far. They're still really tiny and not growing very fast at all, but I'm hopeful.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, I'm trying to put up a photo now.

I guess you can only do one?

• dowlinggram
    11 years ago

That is not campanula. The leaves are too fleshy and not the right shape. It looks more like a balsaam or begonia

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

I'm not sure what the scale is on that picture but it could well be Hairy Bittercress, Cardamine hirsta, which I am afraid is an annoying weed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cardamine hirsuta

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the help! I *do* have that weed growing around, as it happens.

I made a mistake when I planted the Canterbury seeds. The Burpee package said to bury them, but then I saw online, it should have been surface sown. I guess their tiny size should have been a clue.

I will keep watering and hope for the best anyhow, you never know. I tried to unbury them but the seeds are so tiny.

Now, what about this? It looks too big to have come out of that tiny seed though.

• SaraElise
    11 years ago

These are my baby Canterbury Bell seedlings. Planted Feb 19. For reference, the pot is only about an 1 3/4 inches square. And the orange stick is a broken half of a round toothpick. The seedlings are quite small.

But, they are tough little seeds. Mine were actually from a Burpee pack from 2011 and they still sprouted fine. I looked at the pack and (at least on the one I have) they recommend putting the seeds 1/4 inch down. If you only went that far, they should be fine.

Mine took somewhere between 1 and 2 weeks to sprout at temps around 70-75.

• SaraElise
    11 years ago

My babies have only just started on their real leaves, so no rosettes or anything yet...but the pic might help you with earlier identification. The sprout leaves are fat triangles, and the little real leaves have hairy looking edges.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much, SaraElise!

I do have a couple things that *might* turn out to be winners. I'm going to keep watering and see what happens.

Here's another pic: