Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White fuzzy hairs on seedling starts

Posted by hungrypeanut (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 10, 09 at 14:37

I have some seeds that have just sprouted yesterday and some of the small stems have a very fine white hairy fuzz on them. Is this damping off? I haven't had any problems with any fuzz on the surface of the soil and I took care to sterilize all my tools and get properly sterilized seed starting mix. Also, only a few of the stems have the fuzz. I've read on some sites that this fuzz may be the roots.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White fuzzy hairs on seedling starts

That is because it is too wet and not enough air - it's fungus among us - not "roots". ;) Just get them open to air so they can dry a bit and it will disappear.

Dave

o

• Posted by kandm 8b coastal alabama (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 10, 09 at 17:24

I had that on my seedlings as well, just let them dry out, a fan will dry them faster. You could make a dilute solution of water and hydrogen peroxide and dab it on with a qtip.

o

I think it is prolly just the little roots, what type of seeds are they? Covered or Uncovered(with soil)

o

I'm sorry but seeds that "just sprouted yesterday" wouldn't have been able to develop adventitious roots yet regardless of the type of seed. ;)

Dave

o

Well...from my experience, I have found that some of my seeds, especially small seeds that are surface sown produce little fuzzy roots hairs once the radical has emerged, or soon after. This all happens pretty quickly, as they are needed to absorb water. All I am trying to say is that the seedlings in question could be just!!!

Good luck with your growing!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Root hairs on seedling

o

What kind of plants? Tomatos typically have fine hairs on them and so do peppers - but it doesn't look like "white" fuzz.
I agree with Sarah, I usually see root hairs on my lettuce which is surface sown. But it goes away in a day or two as the root develops. Make sure you're getting enough air flow and that the soil isn't too wet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here