Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gjcore

Where to find bulk 2" square containers?

gjcore
11 years ago

Does anyone know where to find a boxful, something like 800 to 1500, of the standard 2 inch square containers. I spent about an hour yesterday google searching and didn't find anything :-(

Spending 15 cents each at the local nursery seems excessive for the amount that I need.

Comments (12)

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    11 years ago

Did you try looking for 36 cell (606 insert) trays? You can probably get them for about a dollar a piece (approx. $28/1000)

Here is a link that might be useful: 606 inserts

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

2x2 isn't a commonly used size, especially as individual containers. So you'll probably have to by them in cellpack sheets and break them apart.

Link below is just one of many online seed starting supply sources.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Novosel Enterprises

• dowlinggram
    11 years ago

Have you looked in the dollar stores for drinking cups. I use small styrofoam coffee cups which have holes poked in the bottom. The cups are 2 1/2 inches in diameter and 3 inches tall. I pay $1 for 25 or 6 cents apiece. I also use the colored 16 oz plastic drinking cups for larger plants. I like both of these better than pots and they are cheaper. These are my main pots. I do also reuse the 4 and 6 packs I buy plants in and I do buy some 6 and 9 packs from my seed catalogue occasionally. They all get the bleach treatment at the end of the season

I wash them in a mild bleach solution and use them again the next year but the styrofoam ones could also be crushed and put in the bottom of large planters to save on soil and still give drainage.

11 years ago

Digdirt has the same link sorry I didn't identify them as a pack that you would have to split.

11 years ago

dowlinggram, round wastes space in a square world. If your limited on space your better off being square. As well roots tend to follow circles faster than squares. Just an observation.

• mandolls
    11 years ago

Southcountry - I got a big smile on my face as I visualized the roots getting confused at having to turn a corner. I too use the little 3 oz plastic cups - the roots of my plants haven't complained about dizziness at all :)

• gjcore
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the links, maybe something there I can use such as these http://www.novoselenterprises.com/products/single.asp?ID=715401C The prices are right. I'll need to look again if they have what I seek.

The containers I prefer to use I didn't see them there. The dimensions are 2 1/2 inch across the top, tapering down to 1 5/8 at the bottom and 3 1/2 inches high. Maybe time to google again that I have the exact measurements.

• archoo16
    11 years ago

HI, Have you tried Amazon? I was thinking of little 2-3 oz bath cups used for mouth wash . They are biodegradable paper cups. I think Staple has them online. Not sure. They are round though :)

• paws4pets
    11 years ago

A little bigger than you might want. I use them for the next step up from plug trays. The ones I have I got when a nursery was going out of business and he was giving containers away. That was 4 years ago and I am finally running out.
    http://eastjordanplastics.com/growing-containers/potweights3.html
    paws

11 years ago

haha mandolls, my humour is often missed. I am having a laugh that you got it LOL!!

FWIW on the same concept my flowering petunia's in the 606 inserts have a more distinct edge to them. Quite possibly if they were in solo cups they would have rounded out.

*snicker*

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

If you have a good container you can place all your "pots" into then why buy? Just find yourself a good even drinking glass and make your own pots from newspaper? If they are packed together they would not need any added support. You just roll the newspaper around the lip end of the glass with as much depth as you like and then tuck the left over end into the glass and slide the newspaper off to make your pots. I copied this off the web it was not my idea. There was a time I did make mine almost the same way but by wetting strips of newspaper but they no longer have any "glue" that made them firm as they once would.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    11 years ago

How long would it take to make 800-1500 newspaper pots?