Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I start my seeds here?

Posted by bobby_c z7 DC (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 19, 11 at 14:51

Hi,
I have a Park BioDome that I've used successfully in the past - what reall helped as well was buying a heating pad and grow lights. I started seeds in my basement, after sprouting came light & transplanting.

Unfortunately I can't do this in the basement this year - construction is going on. Since I live in a small house, upstairs is out of the question for now. However I do have an outdoor shed I built several years ago - a solid structure but without heat. This time of year the day temp is usually 50-65 degrees, with the lows in the 40's (last average frost date is mid-late April so there's always that threat. During the day, with the sun hitting the shed, I'd guess the temp easily goes up into the 70's, as the days goo on that will increase.

So my question is - if I have the heating pad in place, would the shed be an appropriate place to start seedlings? That would be ideal and really help my space issue but if not I'll have to find someplace else.

Thanks,
Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I start my seeds here?

Bob,

I would probably build a crude cover for them of a night, at least until they germinate. Could be as simple as draping a blanket over four-six milk crates. Your soil can lose a lot od warmth of a night. Once they germinate, temps in the mid-upper 40s won't harm them at all.

Mike

o

I'm not sure what you're starting, but I keep my seedlings in an unheated garden shed, and at times we've had nighttime temps down in the 30's. I've got tomatoes and peppers growing, which are heat-loving. I did germinate them in the house where we keep the temps around 65-70. But the moment they sprouted, they went out in the shed.

Though I have heat pads, I haven't used them this year. I've found that my seedlings are getting enough heat just from the shop lights. I've also made a box around them to hold in the heat, using foam core insulation. I've got a small fan that I run on them every other day, during the day only.

Last year, I used the heat pads and fretted over temps a lot. This year, I tried putting them out in the shed and I've been pleased with the results. I'm not having any problems at all. Granted, I've started my seedlings a little earlier than "the books" tell you. I think the only hazard of having them a little cooler is it slows down the growth a bit. But I've compensated for that by simply starting earlier.

Here's some pics of the set-up:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

o

You don't indicate what seeds you want to grow, but most will germinate fine but as soon as germinated will need light. The fluctuating air temperatures should not be a problem with your pots on your heating pad. My unheated greenhouse varies in temperature from about 45 at night to up to 70 during the day. My bottom heater maintains about 70 degrees and germination is not a problem. Al

o

Thanks all for the input and great suggestions! Solves a lot of issues. Now if I can just get my leggy shoots under control.

o

leggy shoots - means the lights are too far away or just not enough light. they are looking for more light

o

Yes - unfortunately I realized this too late. I had the seeds tucked away and didn't realize that they had sprouted until too late. I'll do some transplanting and bury them (mostly tomatoes), hopefully not all is lost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here