Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
perezjuanf

Should I continuo watering them

perezjuanf
11 years ago

I just started growing seeds in a small greenhouse which has a growing light

I sprinkled the growind mediums before planting the seeds should I continue doing so of just wait until the seeds sprout

Thanks

Comments (10)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Was the soil wet when placed in the containers? Is sprinkling the soil all you have done? If so then that isn't nearly enough water. Is the surface of the soil wet? If not then yes it should be. Seeds can't germinate in dry soil.

Dave

• bugbite
    11 years ago

perezjuanf, Nice job. Looks like you put a lot of effort into setting up your "seed station".
    I would like to get more information about the medium you used? Do you have a link to the product you used? (Or at least the name. I will look it up.)

Welcome to the forum.
    Thanks,
    Bob

This post was edited by bugbite on Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 16:46

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

bugbite - Seeds need moisture to germinate and just sprinkling the surface of the medium doesn't provide enough. There's nothing more complicated to it than that.

• bugbite
    11 years ago

Flora Uk. I know. I have been growing plants from seeds for years and my hobby is reading technical books on the science of seed germination and plant growth...favorite is "Plantwatching" (link below).
    "There's nothing more complicated to it than that."
    Read the book and then we will talk. :-)
    I asked a sincere question, for a vey specific reason.
    Regardless what you think, I am permitted to do that.

Here is a link that might be useful: you will like this book

This post was edited by bugbite on Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 18:45

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Duplicate post deleted

This post was edited by flora_uk on Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 16:22

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Sorry, bugbit - no intention to annoy. I just didn't really understand what question you were asking. You say you asked a sincere question for a specific reason. Maybe if you give the specific reason Dave can find something which addresses that reason. Perhaps a little more specificity in questions would make it clearer what you are driving at.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

From the looks of the picture, it does not look like your new greenhouse will provide enough humidity that seeds will germinate without frequent spraying of additional water. Al

• bugbite
    10 years ago

Sorry from my end also Flora. Once a person researches growing mediums (particularly those used in hydroponics) there are some that could possibly maintain the moisture longer, just possibly long enough for the seeds to germinate. I am very, very interested in the actual growing medium that was used.
    Somehow perezjuanf developed the theory that this would work. I am excited to understand his thought process. I want to engage him in a conversation. But my question was too brief.
    Oh wait a minute, I get it. You thought I was asking Dave. No, I was speaking specifically and only to perezjuanf.
    Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I will rewrite my question.

This post was edited by bugbite on Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 13:40

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Your re-written question is much more informative than the original was. And i agree, except I would dispute the last part:

Because no one stopped to engage perezjuanf in a conversation, we might have lost this new person (member since 3/15). perezjuanf put alot of thought and effort behind what he did and no one even asked him to discuss what he did.

Including questions, asking for additional information, as I did in my original post is usually seen as an accepted method of engaging a person in conversation.

I continue to hope that perezjuanf will reply to those questions but many new members never do reply or come back because either they got all the info they wanted or don't understand how a discussion forum works or they neglect to check their spam email box for replies. That is their choice.

Meanwhile it is clear from the pics that the medium used is one of the common potting mixes with additional perlite sprinkled on top - a fairly common recommendation but one that works better with vermiculite since it retains moisture more. Not using a cover over the containers is fine IF the humidity in the enclosure can be maintained.

Dave

• bugbite
    10 years ago

Good points Dave. I'll revise my answer.
    Regarding, "Not using a cover over the containers is fine IF the humidity in the enclosure can be maintained. "
    I had great germination percentages and grow out this year. Almost finished transplanting everything. Going after a third round soon.
    My trays are outside. The humidity varied between 23% and 100%.
    The temperature varied between 38 degrees and 82 degrees.
    Granted if someone raises seedlings inside where the air is constantly dry that is another issue.

This post was edited by bugbite on Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 13:37