Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lullabyf360

Let's show off what we've accomplised :)

LullabyF360
11 years ago

Here are the pictures of my seedlings that have both sprouted & still waiting to come up. The first picture is how I have been germinating all of my seeds. A 32Tb server that runs 24/7 in our laundry room provides the perfect source of warmth!! (My husband is a computer geek. We have gadgets all over the house). As of right now atop our server are: casper pumpkin seeds, blue passion flower, purple passion flower, congo watermelon, mammoth sunflower, peter pepper, black pearl, yin yang bean, love lies bleeding, dragon fruit, gardenia cuttings, manonia beali cuttings, texas wild tomatoes, red pear, & grapefruit. Plus there is some junk on there lol

Comments (35)

• LullabyF360
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, GW wouldn't let me upload more than one pic at a time.

This is our guest bathroom. As you can see, it has been over taken! I have moonflower, crimson rambler, grandpa ott, jalapenos (four of them were not grown from me; they were store bought in case mine died on me), wormwood, rooted gardenia cuttings, white angel trumpet, columbine mix, sweet pea mix, black hollyhock, mammoth sunflower, chinese lanterns, sangira pepper (store bought), & celosia. I really need to move these out of here, but our weather has been crazy this month. Last week it was in the low 80s, this week it 20 or so degrees cooler. Though, we do have rain moving in this weekend. This time last year, it was already in the 90s & holding steady. I have to say I do prefer this sort of weather! Besides, at least we are getting rain.

This post was edited by LullabyF360 on Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 15:06

• mandolls
    11 years ago

Love that you have them all over the house. I have a dedicated space, which makes it easier. I am surprised with your weather you dont just have them outside, they would probably be much happier. Even if it is getting down into the 40's at night, with a litttle protection they would be fine.

I just posted pic of a few of mine in the annuals forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: My seedlings

• LullabyF360
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Believe it or not, we are actually still getting frost. We have been having a very odd spring this year. I wish I did have a small greenhouse. I am really in need of one! Right now we are having to watch what we spend due to home improvements. I guess I need to Google how to build my own greenhouse from things I can find around the house lol. I have been doing a lot of trading since I joined this site this January. My seed collection has grown tremendously. I'm steadily receiving new seeds & sowing them almost as soon as I get them. Today I added black kniola, egg nest gourd, cucumber, & sweet corn.

• mandolls
    11 years ago

I wondered at the wide and strange variety of things you were growing. Seed trading explains it. Sounds like fun!

• 🌱 ~ 🌿 ~ 🍅
    11 years ago

This is my first year attempting any kind of gardening and it is going well as of this moment, much better than anticipated in fact! I may have gone overboard but I have seedlings of the following so far:

Tomatoes:
    Sun Gold Cherry
    Roma VF
    Chocolate Cherry
    Red & Yellow Tumbling Tom

Peppers:
    Flavorburst Bell
    Pinot Noir
    Holy Mole Pasilla
    Tangerine Dream
    Sweet Pickle

Various:
    Sweet Basil
    Dwarf Basil
    Boy o' Boy Marigolds
    Mandarin Twist Calendula

and direct sown just this afternoon:

Dwarf Blue Kale
    Fire n' Ice Radish
    Oregon Sugar Pod II Peas
    Japanese Mustard Spinach

• dbuchner
    11 years ago

This is mostly my super hot peppers. Ive started 26 varieties this year. Along with my cool weather start, Broccoli, Cauliflower and Brussel Sprouts. My wife definitely thinks I am over doing it!

• mandolls
    11 years ago

Wow - those peppers are huge - when did you start them? I didnt get mine started till March 8th, you must have started them in January?

• dbuchner
    11 years ago

Various dates. Mostly early February to mid February. Running out of room fast!!!!! Just started tomatoes today Agghh what to do

• LullabyF360
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My husband thinks I've discovered a new addiction. Well, I've been wanting to do this for a long time, & I'm just now able to get it done :) all of that gardening curiosity is rushing out faster than I can really keep up with. If my weather wasn't being so fickle this year, I would be able to move a little faster, too.

• dm_kelly
    11 years ago

dbuchner- love the spreadsheet idea! As much as I use them at work, I've never thought about them for my plants.

I usually wait until April to start my plants but after looking at the photos I'm motivated to start this weekend. We get our last snowstorm the first week of June so the babies will have to be protected until then...

• LullabyF360
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm currently trying to clear off our side of the neighbor's pond. Technically, we own part of it, but he abandoned the place last summer, so there is no one to raise cane over territory. He wouldn't have cared, but I'm talking about the possibility of new owners. Anyway, on our side there is a levee over grown with ugliness & covering up the avaliability of a garden :D once this is cleared off, I'm going to build garden boxes for level ground & trellises for the things that need them & let my veggies grow! But all of that is on hold. It's won't be clear skies until monday :/ I'm getting antsy to get out there & see the final work. But until the weekend is over, I'm stuck with house work.

• mswillis5
    11 years ago

The garden is starting to come together this year. Everything planted is from seed minus the 3 plants purchased. I just hope that they survive under the frost blankets and cloches this week. I guess I planted too early but we will see.

• mswillis5
    11 years ago

Here is the view of the rest of the garden.

• McHaleBrent
    11 years ago

These are the plants I've grown this year. This is my first year growing veggies from seed. I planted the tomatoes a little early, and they are leggy but what can you do. Also I have day lilies growing up top.

• McHaleBrent
    11 years ago

Also my peppers and some other tomato plants.

• LullabyF360
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm starting to worry that I have planted too early, but what can I say? I had no idea that I would still be having 32* nights this time of year (I checked the weather this morning, & they are calling for 30 something degrees for the next few nights). My main problem I'M RUNNING OUT OF SPAAAAAACCEEE!!! Lol I have no other place to put them. The rest of the house is filled with either my art stuff, computer parts & other play toys, or possessions we currently have found no place for. Oh well, things will work out in the end.

• darobi2459
    11 years ago

I have started a lot of daylily seeds this year (first timer),and I have had a lot of green algy? growing not only on top but indide as well. I read it doesnt hurt them, and they seem fine. Was it just the mix I used?

I just transplanted a few to new cups with sterilized mix (microwaved) Ill see how these do.

Thanks David.

• paws4pets
    11 years ago

I always start too early but I can't help it.
    {{gwi:227991}}

{{gwi:227992}}

{{gwi:227993}}
    {{gwi:227994}}

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the post, yea gardening is a addictive but what a wonderful addiction. The joy of the harvest or the beauty of the blooms make up for all our labors. 30 March 2013 and some of what I are trying to grow. Just learning how to use my photo program as I keep seeing how others upload a collection of photos at once.

This post was edited by wally-1936 on Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 12:40

• McHaleBrent
    11 years ago

Darobi2459

I haven't had any algae on my plants. They need to be transplanted into bigger cups soon, but I think it may be the soil you used is just holding the water a lot more than it should. Maybe it just has a lot of peat in the soil.

Brent

• LullabyF360
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So y'all know I've been whining about needing a greenhouse haha well here is a neat idea & great for those who like to recycle :D

http://m.inhabitat.com/inhabitat/#!/entry/uk-school-children-build-a-greenhouse-out-of-recycled-plastic,509c30b1d7fc7b567050a7e7

• archoo16
    11 years ago

OK , I know my little baby seedlings are nothing compared to your huge set ups . But they make me so happy and proud.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    11 years ago

A scene from what has germinated as of last week.

Don't tell the wife but I need more lights to get through the season!!!

• darobi2459
    11 years ago

Thats funny you said that south country guy! I have said the same thing to my wife twice, and I think I need at least another dual t-8. Nice lights btw, t-5's 8 x 4ft x 2? Are you running the 6500K ? I bought a 4 x 4ft recently, but should've went with the 8!

11 years ago

darobi2459, thanks! I love these lights!

Yeah they are the T5 8 bulb 4'X2' at 6500K. They are stock, but I did test a whole pile to find the best and they tested among the top.

You can never, ever, ever, have enough light LOL

Don't tell the wife but I have one more 8 bulb on order!

11 years ago

getting sick of double posts.....

This post was edited by SouthCountryGuy on Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 22:01

• balal036
    11 years ago

bought a basic cheap greenhouse from biglots wraped it in reflective insulation and put up two 4ft long 4 blub t-5 florescent lights, keep expanding love it over 150 plants all organic/ heirlooms

• gjcore
    11 years ago

This is my indoor grow area. A little sparse right now as some plants are outside hardening off for a move to the coldframes.
    {{gwi:227995}}
    A wide view of the early garden 2013
    {{gwi:227997}}

The newest coldframe is filling up fast
    {{gwi:227998}}
    The other coldframes with a bit of room to spare
    {{gwi:227999}}

And under the mini-tunnel is lettuce and radish
    {{gwi:228000}}

Very cool to see pictures of other people's setups!

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

You must have a very large garden. I lived in Commerce City many years ago and never tried to start anything inside except my rhubarb which I ate the first year in the ground. You must enjoy your garden very much. Never got into it that much. Had just started my Asparagus before moving to Texas to work offshore.

• LullabyF360
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Whoo-hoo! This is ONE of my side projects I started in the middle of March. We only own part of the pond. The majority of it being on our neighbor's property, so I can only clean up so much, but what little I can do is already making a huge different. My initial plan was to plant bamboo along our side to create a natural fence & hide the eye sore. However, due to my increasing yearning for a garden (accompanying the fact that I can't find any bamboo to dig up without getting in trouble), I have decided to remove all of the brush, weeds, trash, pine saplings, & whatever else is buried in there to make way for my garden. What you see here is the result of just me & my two hands...& the occasional fire.

This post was edited by LullabyF360 on Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 21:07

• LullabyF360
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I really don't know why GW won't let me upload more than one photo in one post :/

• mandolls
    11 years ago

In order to post more than one pic - you need to upload them to an on line site (I use photo bucket) then post them from there using (but no spaces between the end brackets)

Looks like quite a project! Wish I had more space to take over.

• katkeeper36
    11 years ago

I started my Chocolate Bell Peppers about 3 weeks ago. Just transplanted them yesterday. ( in between the T5's at nite until I figure something out ). Started 96 tomatoes about 8 days ago...got over 50% germination already...so they are stealing the lites from the Peppers...waitin until about 4/20 to start Squash, Cucumbers, and Melons.

• darobi2459
    11 years ago

lots of daylilies here :) Im about to start tomatoes, but need to buy another light first lol :)

• LullabyF360
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Woo-hoo! Finally finished! Well not entirely. I still have to fill in the boxes with soil & transfer my seedlings. I had to get my in-laws out here to finish the final stretch. We got rain yesterday & the day before, so everything is settled in nicely. I still have to build a fence-type trellis for my gourds. Not sure yet on where to have it.