Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What a difference good lights make

Posted by luvahydrangea Albany NY 5 (threehoffmans@nycap.rr.com) on
Sun, Mar 13, 11 at 15:02

These are both Verbena Bonariensis. Both were sown on the same day, both under the same conditions to germinate (heating mat during the day, off at night, under metal halide lamps.) Once they germinated, these were moved under fluorescent grow lights because I needed room for others. Just the 4' full spectrum bulbs you buy at the big box stores, nothing special.
Photobucket

These I kept under the metal halide lamp and they are so much bigger!
Photobucket

So I guess it really makes a difference, I think I need to trade those shop lamps for something better. I don't think I can afford another metal halide lamp, not so much because of the initial cost, but the strain its putting on my electric bill. Anyway, just wanted to share.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What a difference good lights make

I can agree there is a big difference between a florescent lamp(of any quality) and a metal halide. I reliable foot candle meter to measure the amount of light ANYWHERE, can be bought for $25 and stop all the guessing about the amount of light on your plants. Considering how lavishly gardeners spend money on plants and lights that don't do the job. I went through two sets of lamps before biting the bullet and buying the HID. A bulb last me about two years and costs $16 to replace. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here