Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
best_botanist

Mango stone

best_botanist
18 years ago

hello, i have got a mango, and it is reallly squishy (or ripe, dunno) but i have had it in a window fer a while, and when should i plant it, and how should i plant it. any advice would be nice.

Comments (4)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    18 years ago

hort.purdue.edu - But this information is not significantly different than that you were given last month. Does not come true from seed.

"Mango trees grow readily from seed. Germination rate and vigor of seedlings are highest when seeds are taken from fruits that are fully ripe, not still firm. Also, the seed should be fresh, not dried. If the seed cannot be planted within a few days after its removal from the fruit, it can be covered with moist earth, sand, or sawdust in a container until it can be planted, or kept in charcoal dust in a dessicator with 50% relative humidity. Seeds stored in the latter manner have shown 80% viability even after 70 days. High rates of germination are obtained if seeds are stored in polyethylene bags but the seedling behavior may be poor. Inclusion of sphagnum moss in the sack has no benefit and shows inferior rates of germination over 2- to 4-week periods, and none at all at 6 weeks.

The flesh should be completely removed. Then the husk is opened by carefully paring around the convex edge with a sharp knife and taking care not to cut the kernel, which will readily slide out. Husk removal speeds germination and avoids cramping of roots, and also permits discovery and removal of the larva of the seed weevil in areas where this pest is prevalent. Finally, the husked kernels are treated with fungicide and planted without delay. The beds must have solid bottoms to prevent excessive taproot growth, otherwise the taproot will become 18 to 24 in (45-60 cm) long while the top will be only one third to a half as high, and the seedling will be difficult to transplant with any assurance of survival. The seed is placed on its ventral (concave) edge with 1/4 protruding above the sand. Sprouting occurs in 8 to 14 days in a warm, tropical climate; 3 weeks in cooler climates."

Here is a link that might be useful: Mango Stone Help

• hvg118
    17 years ago

You have to make a small cut to the stone, and put it into a jar of water for 2 weeks in the airing cupboard or anywhere over 16-18 degrees centigrade. change the water every day to stop it smelling and after 2 weeks pot the seed - it should have started rooting by this point. plant 3cm deep. if it hasn't rooted, plant anyway and put into a seeled polythene bag to keep moist and return to the cupboard for 2 months. you will have to repot the plant frequently cos these muthas grow to more than 30 metres high!

Click on my below link called Mango Growing Instructions to learn more.

I'm gonna give it a go right now - happy growing!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mango Growing Instructions

• tasty
    17 years ago

Hi does anybody know what soils i need or do i need compost or something thanks tasty

• welham
    17 years ago

Hi There!

I actually planted a mango seed in India around 20 years ago and now my parents have this towering tree which bears tons of mangos. The only downside is that the fruit, while sweet is very fibrous (since it did not come true). We harvest most of it raw for pickle for which it is perfect but since I am quite sure you'd only be interested in the ripe version, you should check out what kind of mango you have - monoembryonic or polyembryonic.

I found this info:

There are two principal types of mangos: Indian and Indochinese. Varieties of the Indian type typically have monoembryonic (single embryo) seeds, highly colored fruit. Those of the Indochinese type have polyembryonic seeds (multiple embryos), and fruit usually lacking in coloration. There are some varieties, however, that do not fit clearly into either group.

Polyembryonic types generally come true from seed, which is the common method of propagation in the tropics. Monoembryonic types do not come true from seed, so they must be grafted onto seedling rootstocks, using almost any available mango seeds.

The fibrous stone or pit should be removed from the seed. The seed should be planted concave edge down and about 1 inch deep in any good potting soil. Germination may take two to three weeks; graftable seedlings of a quarter inch diameter take about six months.

Source: http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/homefruit/mango/mango.html

Hope this helps!
    Lakshmi