Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When do you start your winter pansy seeds?

Posted by nhardy 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 30, 12 at 15:05

I bought winter pansy seeds this year. I want to make my calendar to start them at the right time. It took 45 days to get the seeds to the hardneing off stage on the Swiss pansies I plant this spring. When do you plant your winter pansies?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When do you start your winter pansy seeds?

Like Icicle Pansies? In September in the greenhouse (or inside) for my zone. If direct seeding them outside and in your zone - direct seed 6-8 weeks before your first frost date - but results will be much more weather dependent.

Dave

o

I ordered from Thompson & Morgan: Pansy x wittrockiana 'Petite Mixed' F1 Hybrid. Maybe I'll start them around the beginning of August.

o

they like to germinate in cool temps, I think August would be too hot for them. I would start them now or in the fall.

This is directly from the T and M website:

Sow late winter/spring or late summer. Sow 1.5mm (1/16in) deep in good seed compost excluding light as darkness is beneficial. Germination usually takes 14-21 days at 19-24C (65-75F). Keep the soil just moist and avoid high temperatures which will prevent germination.

When seedlings are large enough to handle, transplant and grow cool. Gradually acclimatise to outdoor conditions for 10-15 days before planting out after all risk of frost, 23-30cm (9-12in) apart in most soils, sun or part shade.

Keriann~

o

I wanting them for the late summer planting. I plan to germinate the seeds in the basement for the fall planting. I can put them on a lower shelf of my plant stand.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here