Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how many seeds in pots

Posted by birkjar 3 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 13, 10 at 15:09

Hi, I am growing some ornamental grasses form seed. i was wondering how many seeds per pot. I was told to put seeds in 6" pots right from beginning. I didn't have any 6" pots yet so i put them in 4" and going to put in bigger pots later.The seeds are up about 4" tall now but there is only 1 of these 4" grass stems coming from each seed in each pot. Was going to transplant now but was thinking maybe I should put 4 or 5 of these together in a 8" pot or will each seed spread and get more bushy. The grasses i am planting are:
Ornamental Millet- purple majesty, these are 4" tall, single blade of grass.
Ornamental Millet- Jester, these are 4" tall, single blade of grass.
Ornamental grass - twisted arrow, these have just popped out and not ready to transplant yet but when time comes i will need to know if i should put more than 1 plant in bigger pot.
Ornamental grass - Pennisetum Ruppelianum, i did put 4 seeds per 4" pot but maybe should of put more. Just single blades of grass coming from each seed. these are not ready to transplant yet either. but will need to know later.

thanks anyone who could help me out here. i would really appreciate any info anyone could give me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how many seeds in pots

I read your post with interest because I'll be starting some ornamental grasses for the first time this year too. I suggest you google your varieties to find out what their growth habit is, and have no more than one in a pot if its a specimen or clumping type. The spreading types could be grouped together to get them to fill out faster.

As I say, I'm just a beginner, so if anyone wants to correct me I won't take offense!

o

i did google it but it didn't really give me info on this. it just said to plant in large pot but not how many to plant in each pot, so i just planted one in each pot. i want them to be full. so i thought maybe i should put more than 1 plant in a pot.

o

Gardenweb has a moderately trafficked Ornamental Grasses forum that gets some regular visits from a few who share some quite good advice.

My experience was that most ornamental grasses require a bit of patience. I've some three year old plants from seed that are just beginning to get interesting.

o

For all your varities, I would put 6-10 in a 8" pot.

Grasses are tough, you could always divide them before you get them in the ground in Spring if they get fuller by then.

Keriann~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here