Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meaning of true leaves

Posted by 67jayhawk none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 29, 11 at 15:20

I'm a newbie. Am growing tomatoes from seeds. I hear the term true leaves. Is that the two leaves I first see or the leaves that are starting to grow in between them? My plants are about 2-3 inches high and I've transplanted about 25% to larger 16 oz. cups. Am I too early for that? I'm in mid-Kansas and don't know my zone. Will probably have more "dumber than dirt" questions. Appreciate any advice.

Jerry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meaning of true leaves

Jerry, the first pair of leaves you see are the "seed leaves" or the cotyledons. The next pair of leaves are the true leaves. Usually it is safe to transplant when you get 2 sets of true leaves.

o

Thanks

o

jayhawk,

No question is "dumber than dirt". We were all beginners at one time. I consider myself to be an intermediate now, but still have plenty to learn. (In fact, that's one of the best things about gardening, there always seems to be more to learn!)

A few tips for "potting up" (transplanting to a larger container before their final home) tomatoes:

1) when transplanting tomatoes, any part of the stem buried under the ground level will grow roots. Therefore, it is often best to bury them right up to their seed leaves when transplanting. This will help to bolster the root system.

2) when transplanting tomatoes, be sure to handle them by the "seed leaves". DO NOT HANDLE THEM BY THE STEMS! The seed leaves are less delicate, and are temporary, so if any damage is done to them during transplanting, it is not that serious. If any damage happens to the stem, it is more than likely permanent.

3) a little known fact by some beginners is that an indeterminate tomato can be "cloned". When the plant starts to grow, it will put out "suckers" these are side branches off the main stem, and will grow into "main stems" as well. If pinched off, and placed in a container of water when they are still fairly small, but handleable, they will put out roots, and can be transplanted into the garden later. (I did this one year when I lost a few tomatoes to birds, rabbits or other critters. It works great.) I don't generally do it as a plan, but if I need to replace a plant that is lost for whatever reason, it is a nice solution, and it can grow quite quickly (much quicker than starting from seed again, and much cheaper than buying replacements.

o

I learn some thing every day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here