Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grafting Seedling Valencia Oranges?

Posted by TXBluebonnet11 none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 15:33

My grandfather passed away early last year. He had beautiful orange trees growing at his home in Phoenix, Arizona that I had admired as long as I can remember. I wanted to hold onto that memory. Just before his home was sold, I took several seeds from the oranges and flew them back home to Houston with me. It took a while, but a few weeks later, I had little baby sprouts which I transplanted to little pots. That was almost a year ago and they have very slowly grown.

My hope is that one day, I will have a tree just like my grandfather's tree. And a part of him will live on. I have read that trees grown from seeds will not bear good fruit or will not be as healthy as those grown from grafts. So I am wondering what my best options would be for turning my grandfather's wonderful trees into trees that are equally wonderful. Should I buy another tree and graft these baby trees to it when they are large enough? This is my first experience with citrus and a sentimental endeavor.

Additional info: I live in Houston. I think that the oranges are Valencia oranges because I collected the seeds in early May from oranges on his trees in Phoenix. My research tells me that the Valencia is the only common variety in that area that still has fruit on the trees in May.

Here's a photo of my baby trees.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grafting Seedling Valencia Oranges?

Here's a photo of one of my grandpa's trees.

o
RE: Grafting Seedling Valencia Oranges?

Sorry to not be able to help you directly but yours is a very complicated question best dealt with by an expert in fruit trees and grating them. So if you don't mind I'll refer you to another forum here, one that focuses on those issues. I hope one of the experts there can assist you.

The Citrus Growing forum has several FAQs on grafting fruit trees as well as one specifically dealing with varieties of oranges. If the FAQs don't cover what you need then be sure to post your question on their discussion forum.

Dave.

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus forum FAQs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here