Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jparadise81

How to start various vines

JParadise81
12 years ago

Hello everyone, Ive been lurking through the site for a while but recently decided to join and ask some questions. Im a newb so plaease go easy on me!

I have about 80ft of a wrought iron fence that I have been wanting to cover with something to provide some privacy in our backyard, without completely losing the openness feeling. We decided against tall hedges and think some vines will be the way to go. Before making the investment for crossvine, we want to plant some annual vines to make sure we like the look. So I went to the local garden store and picked up some hyacinth bean vine seed, cardinal climber seed, and cypress vine seed. The gal there suggested I purchase 36 cocomut coir pots (smaller ones) and a 20lb bag of lady bug brand seed starter which together cost me about $25. She just said fill the pots put the seed in,lightly water, then plant the pots in April. Not much direction.

I was at Lowes today and saw the little greenhouse that has 72 peat pellets and decided to pick one of these up as it was only $6, much cheaper than the supplies I previously purchased. Plus I saw a video on utube which showed how to use it. So my first question is, which method should I do to germinate my seeds and why? Which will give me the best results? IS the extra money going to be worth it over the cheaper little greenhouse?

I plan to put these under a flourescent one the seedlings sprout, but have no idea how long I should let these grow indoors...so when should they be transferred outside?

Thanks for your help!

Comments (3)

• JParadise81
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Also, will the hyacinth bean, cypress vine, or cardinal climber seeds need to be soaked in water for any amount of time before sowing?

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

You can pre-soak all of them if you wish and since it is so late to be starting them it will really help. They are usually started 8-10 weeks prior to your last frost date. Cardinal Climber seed needs to be scarified before planting.

But honestly in your zone they could more easily be direct seeded now. Otherwise by the time they are ready to transplant, 8-10 weeks form now, it will be very hot there.

I would definitely direct seed the hyacinth beans.

As to the investment, is it possible to return any of the things you bought like the coir pots and the fancy seed starter mix? If so then the tray and little cell packs plus some cheap Jiffy mix ($4 a bag) will do fine.

Check out the FAQs here for all the basic info on growing from seed.

Also keep in mind that both Cypress and Cardinal are considered invasive plants so you might prefer to plant them in containers next to the fence instead so you can keep them under control.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing from Seed FAQs

• JParadise81
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the response Dave, and the link in particular. Not sure how I missed that section the 100 or so times I visited these forums! so Im going to take your advice and direct sow these seeds, this morning I put each seed type in its own bottle of water to soften it up and will sow them tomorrow. I do have a couple more questions though:
    1. Scarifying the cardinal climber seed - i tried scratching the outer shell this morning with some nail clippers but wasnt able to really penetrate it at all. Some of the outer black coating of the seed came off though, is that all I need to do?
    2. I put down crabgrass and broadleaf pre-emergent in my yard this past week, including the spots where I plan to put the vines, and Im wondering if this will stop the seeds from germinating? My plan was to dig out the spots where I will be sowing the seeds and replacing it with fresh amended soil. Is that a good idea? My thought was the new soil wouldn't have any of the pre-emergent and therefore wouldnt interfere with germination.
    3. Amended soil - what should I use?