Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chocolate Bell Peppers from seed

Posted by katkeeper36 5a (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 15:47

Hey everyone...I see people questioning all the time about growing Bell Peppers from seed. Alot of people seem to complain about long germination rates and looking for hints/pointers on bettering their productivity. Last year I started them along with my tomatoes and I was picking all green ones just b4 the frost here in New England. So this year I wanted an early jump on them ...

Just an FYI...i started my Bells 5 days ago. Dr. Earth potting soil in old yougurt plastic cups with holes in the bottom. 2 inch propagation dome/no lights all atop a seedling heating mat...5 days, no additional watering and 5 of the 12 have popped as of this morning.

Hope everyone has a great week...peace.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Snowbound Gardener

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chocolate Bell Peppers from seed

Congrats on your success! I agree and usually start my peppers at least 2-3 weeks before my tomatoes since they do tend to be slow to germinate and even slower to grow.

Enjoy your peppers. :)

Dave

o

Hoo Haa! Great news! 5 days is FAST. Heating is the magic ingredient.

Last year my peppers from seed were a total flop. But I'm on the right track now. I started 60 seeds (6 seeds * 10 different kinds of peppers) on 02-26-2013. 12 days into it, I have 65% to 70% germination with plants at or above soil level. That's over twice as many as I have room for in the garden (and about 40 more seeds than germinated last year). Help! It worked too good!

o

Thanks, I'm only a 3rd year gardener....but I'm learning. I love experimenting with different plants and reading on others experiences. Alot of what I've read is to expect up to 21 days for germination. So I figured I'd share my story.

I've seen alot of people questioning (in this forum) the heating mats. I keep my heat in the house around 60-62 and this mat is on my kitchen table on top of a folded towel.
The mat is big enough to fit 2 full seed trays on....or one tray and a large orange cat. I would say they are TOTALLY worth the money ( so far ). Each year you use it the cost just keeps going down.

Thaks for the pos feedback...hope anything I've shared helps someone else...

o

Those are the two secrets... a heating mat, plus figure out how many plants you want and plant AT LEAST twice that many seeds!

o

One week after sprouting...heat mats off. T5's on 16-18 hrs a day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here