Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bosewichte

Can I 'force' these seeds to bloom this year?

bosewichte
12 years ago

I bought several flower seed packets for a summer garden...I'm setting up a heat mat and grow lights in my basement. Some of my seeds, though, are marked '365 days until bloom'.

Coneflowers

Canterbury Bells

Lupine

Shasta Daisy

If I stratify them in my freezer for a couple of weeks, then a couple of weeks in the fridge, and then start them on the heat mats, is there a possibility that they'll grow/flower this year? I sure would love that, especially since I'm not sure if we'll be at this house next year and don't want to miss out on those great blooms!

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• franknjim
    12 years ago

It takes a year of growing for the plants to become mature. If you are wanting instant gratification from perennial flowers you might want to consider buying some 4" or gallon pots to plant. Otherwise just go with some annual flowers.

• bosewichte
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! I'll pick up some more annuals to compensate.

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Canterbury Bells are biennials so they will flower next year but then quite likely die (sometimes they hang on another season or two.) Your other three are perennials and will perform for years. All three are easy to transplant so if you move you can take them with you.

• bosewichte
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's so strange...I had always thought they were biennials, too...but then the Burpee package said that they were annuals. ARGH! I'll have to read them more carefully next time.

• robertpummer
    12 years ago

Start your plants and take them with you to bloom the year after.

Here is a link that might be useful: Starting Seeds Indoors

• davidl_ny5
    12 years ago

Those that are marked 365 days until bloom may need a period of "cold stratification," that is 60 to 100 days of exposure to moisture and temperatures below 40 degrees, just to germinate, and then a period of growth, perhaps more than one season, to flower. You could try putting them in the fridge in baggies and moist sand or seed-starting mixture for a couple of months, sow them under lights or outdoors, and pray. I think that's the only way you'll get germination this year, at least with the lupine. Coneflower may germinate without stratification (or not) but not sure how fast it will flower. You can probably find this out by googling the name of the plant and "cold stratification." Also this forum probably has general information about stratification procedures.

• nhardy
    12 years ago

Start your seed. Transplant them into pots. Before planting them in the ground, repot them in bigger pots. Then plant them pot and all. (I planted Shasta daisies last year from 4 in. pots. This year, they almost double in size.) Then when you move, you can pull the pots out very easy. Just by a cheap bag of soil to fill the holes. No one will know.

I planted fancy color coneflower this year. They are still tiny. I guess they will flower next year.

• bosewichte
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much, everyone! NHARDY, I will absolutely take your advice.

• momstar
    12 years ago

I planted some of these this year too!

I have started Shasta from seed and gotten a few blooms the first year. The second year was full bloom. The third year I divided them. Did not need to plant more this year.

The Coneflower did not bloom at all the first year. The plants were very small. The second year I had a few blooms. This will be the third year and I hope they will be more prolific. Planted more from seed this year to fill in where the puppy dug them up.

Lupine and Canterbury Bells this year from seed. The Lupine are growing huge. Somewhere I read they could (hope) bloom this year. The Canterbury Bells were planted at the same time and they are tiny. Unless they make a serious sprint here soon, they won't bloom this year for sure.

Holly Hocks are supposed to be biannual but I had a few bloom the first year.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists